Dec 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Here’s what I want to do:

I have an A4 printer.

I want to printout something that will be the equivalent of 2×4 A4 printouts

Anyone know of a foolproof, *automatic* way of doing this, or do I have to make 8 separate A4 images, then print them out? (and then cutout the borders)

Not only A4’s but I’d like, for instance to do something similar with cardstock, borderless prints.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BobHill
Dec 11, 2003
There is no automatic way to Tile Print, Wally, but you can create them pretty easily. Open your oversized image, being sure it’s of print quality resolution (between 150ppi and 300ppi). Now being sure you have Rulers viewed (Control/Command R) and perhaps even Grid (View, Grid) use the Selection tool (dashed rectangle) and make your division (tile page) to fit your full bleed page (if you have a full bleed printer) and Copy (Control C on a PC). Now, File, New and automatically you’ll get a new canvas to the size you made your Copy. With that already selected, Paste (Control V on a PC) and the part you copied from the original will now be that first tile page. Save as such.; Do the same for each Tile you need, either giving an overlap or not as you wish. Each page will now be able to be printed to make your full oversized tiled print (much like they do to make large billboards). Give that a try.

Bob
R
RobertHJones
Dec 11, 2003
Wally,

My Epson printer driver has an option for making these types of prints. When you go into the printers preferences, there is a layout tab where you can select multi-page printing and in it, a poster option to do exactly what you want to do. you can even specify whether the images are to overlap or not.

I don’t know what type of printer you have but you may want to take a look at it’s setup/preferences options and see if it has something similar.

Bob
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Dec 13, 2003
Bob, thanks for that. I guess I should have specified my Lexmark. Looks like Epson has all the features :-))

I guess, the long and manual way for me.

Cheers,
Wally from OZ
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Dec 13, 2003
wrote in message
There is no automatic way to Tile Print, Wally, but you can create them
pretty easily. Open your oversized image, being sure it’s of print quality resolution (between 150ppi and 300ppi). Now being sure you have Rulers viewed (Control/Command R) and perhaps even Grid (View, Grid) use the Selection tool (dashed rectangle) and make your division (tile page) to fit your full bleed page (if you have a full bleed printer) and Copy (Control C on a PC). Now, File, New and automatically you’ll get a new canvas to the size you made your Copy. With that already selected, Paste (Control V on a PC) and the part you copied from the original will now be that first tile page. Save as such.; Do the same for each Tile you need, either giving an overlap or not as you wish. Each page will now be able to be printed to make your full oversized tiled print (much like they do to make large billboards). Give that a try.
Bob

Thanks Bob, looks like that may work. I’m also doing a triptych (sp?), so your suggested technique will work for that also.

Cheers,
Wally from OZ
B
BobHill
Dec 15, 2003
Let us know how you make out, Wally.

Bob
BL
bob_lemon
Dec 15, 2003
Wally, you might want to check this out. <http://www.postersw.com/>

You can down load a free trial program which will let you do 10 poster size pictures. I did a landscape some time ago with an old version. It will layout your image an a canvas of any number of 8.5×11 sheets and place markers where you should cut the paper. I only used it out of curiosity a few times, but it seemed to do the job.

Bob Lemon
WA
Wally_Anglesea
Dec 17, 2003
wrote in message
Wally, you might want to check this out. <http://www.postersw.com/>
You can down load a free trial program which will let you do 10 poster
size pictures. I did a landscape some time ago with an old version. It will layout your image an a canvas of any number of 8.5×11 sheets and place markers where you should cut the paper. I only used it out of curiosity a few times, but it seemed to do the job.
Bob Lemon

Hey thanks, if that works, I may see about buying it.

Luckily, I have found a good print shop that will do stuff to order on phot quality paper. Expensive though.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections