How to print a large image across tiled sheets?

HJ
Posted By
hUJe_John
Nov 3, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Doubtless this is a dozy question, but I can’t for the life of me see how to do it in the print dialog and my searches of help, forums and knowlege base come up useless!

I want to send an A2 image to an A4 printer so it tiles across 4 sheets. I’ve obviously not had to do this in the couple of years since I moved to Photoshop from Corel (where I know how to do it!).

How is it done?

Thanks in advance.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BO
Burton_Ogden
Nov 4, 2005
What version of Photoshop are you using?
HJ
hUJe_John
Nov 4, 2005
Sorry – CS2 (tho I’ve still got CS installed for when I can’t find something in the new one!)
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Nov 4, 2005
probably can be done with CS2, but as mine doesnt work im not sure. But what I do is save as a pdf then print fromt here, selecting Tile large pages.
BO
Burton_Ogden
Nov 4, 2005
HUJe,

I don’t have CS2, so I can’t confirm that it do tiled printing automatically. However, since you are only splitting the image into four pages, you can do that manually. I set up the grid spacing to a fairly large size so that only a few grid lines cover your image and two of them split your image four ways.

Then I set up the Rectangular Marquee to a fixed size in pixels that exactly equals the dimensions of one of the four tiles. Then I put "snap to grid" on and drop the first page into the upper left corner of the image and print that selection. Then I move the Rectangular Marquee to the right and it will snap to the second page, so I can print it. And so on for the two remaining tiles.

This technique lets you print pixel-perfect tiles. Then comes the exacting job of cutting the tiles from the printed pages. I never could cut straight enough to get good results with scissors. So I use a non-slip straight edge, a rotary cutter, and a self-healing cutting board for that. And to avoid finger prints from harming my images during all this handling, I first laminate my tiled prints and trim and assemble the laminates. Perhaps, if you wore the right kind of gloves, you could assemble the final image without the laminating step.

— Burton —
HJ
hUJe_John
Nov 4, 2005
Wow – that’s impressive! I think my cutting’s approximate enough not to worry about being pixel perfect… I’m just guillotining them and then overlapping & gluing – they’re publicity things to go in pretty crappy display frames in a club corridor.

Anyway, it’s good to know you can do it exactly and have control over where the borders end up & how much overlap/spare paper there is (I haven’t tried the pdf way yet so I don’t know how much control there is).

I’ve still got Corel on this machine so for this time I output a jpeg and used that – it lets you drag the image around the tiled pages to position it exactly as you want, and you can adjust how much overlap there is on the pages etc which is handy.

Thanks all – and if there’s automated support for it in CS2, I’d still like to know!

cheers
John
BO
Burton_Ogden
Nov 5, 2005
John,

…and you can adjust how much overlap there is on the pages etc which is handy.

Several programs that support tiled printing have the overlap feature. I tried that, but I couldn’t guess the exact way to align the overlapping pictures before cutting through the overlap zone. The advantage of the overlap is that you can cut through a picture pair anywhere in the overlap zone and the pictures will fit well together. But it was just too difficult to align the pictures preparatory to cutting. So I gave up and went to zero-overlap, and liked it much better. All I had to do was trim off the white borders, and I could do that one picture at a time.

I think my cutting’s approximate enough not to worry about being pixel perfect…

I am always striving for pixel perfect. On many images if you are off by even a single pixel, there will be a noticeable seam, and I am trying for seamless assembled images. I have achieved that with my rotary cutter and some practice.

— Burton —

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections