Posted By
Duncan Fowler
Jul 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been having problems getting a print with correct colors using CS3

I have done color profiles using PrintFix Plus and get a great print using their test targets.

When I print from PS3 I have disabled the printer color management system in the driver, I have set the "color handling" in the CS3 print screen as both Photoshop handles colors and none… It makes no difference in the final print.

In the Advanced printer settings I click ICM and choose no color adjustment.

Clearly I am missing something…. but for the life of me I have not gotten it figured out for CS3 It works well for me in CS2

Dunc

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
pshaw
Jul 26, 2007
its a well known problem … i’m told that adobe is working with epson …. i reinstalled cs2 and after i work in cs3, print from cs2 with my 2200 …

steve

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 13:13:44 -0700, "Duncan Fowler" wrote:

I have been having problems getting a print with correct colors using CS3
I have done color profiles using PrintFix Plus and get a great print using their test targets.
When I print from PS3 I have disabled the printer color management system in the driver, I have set the "color handling" in the CS3 print screen as both Photoshop handles colors and none… It makes no difference in the final print.

In the Advanced printer settings I click ICM and choose no color adjustment.
Clearly I am missing something…. but for the life of me I have not gotten it figured out for CS3 It works well for me in CS2

Dunc
SP
Sid_Phillips
Jul 26, 2007
Dunc:

In PSCS3, are you telling it to use the custom profile you made? And have you tried printing using one of the Epson profiles just to see if you get different results?

WinXP, CS3, Epson 2200
HM
Harry_Miles
Jul 27, 2007
I too am having the "green cast" problem with CS3 and the Epson 2200. Any help will be appreciated.

Harry
FN
Fred_Nirque
Jul 28, 2007
This has been brought up in several earlier CS3 printing problems posts – Adobe’s brilliant solution was to turn off colour management and let the printer control colour until the printer manufacturers create new drivers to take into account CS3’s new way of ignoring everything and going for system default.

In other words they’ve shifted responsibility onto the printer manufacturers’ software.

See this discussion, you’re not alone:

<http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2007/06/printing_in_cs3.html>
HM
Harry_Miles
Jul 28, 2007
Duncan and Fred,

I have solved the problem. Although I may fine tune it later, here is what I did. Unfortunately I did two things before testing so I don’t know whether it was one or both that did the trick. At this point I don’t care.

1) Downloaded and installed new Epson 2200 driver set for Intel Mac from Adobe.

2) Carefully followed the instructions for workflow #2 from Ian Lyons from his "Computer-Darkroom.com" website. First in his article "Adobe Photoshop CS3 – Print with Colour Management"

< http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps10_print/ps10_print_10.ht m>

followed by the workflow for Mac OS X in

< http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps10_print/ps10_print_2.htm>

Good luck. It worked for me.

As an aside, before I found Lyon’s instructions I tried printing from Lightroom and it worked well. Many fewer choices and more automatic.
A
ajfrank
Jul 28, 2007
Duncan and Harry. I also have Epson 2200, winxp and CS3 and had the same experience. Had no problem with CS but have had to set color management to printer for CS3. Fortunately, I get a decent color match. However, I have a weird problem getting the opposite orientation on setting up before printing. For example, I set the printer for landscape but when I click on the Adobe ikon for landscape it’s a portrait format.

When I base the setting on the correct image rather than what the ikon says it’s supposed to be the print is correct. Hopefully Adobe will address this.

Arnold
HM
Harry_Miles
Jul 30, 2007
One more observation on color casts with Photoshop and the Epson 2200.

DO NOT USE PREVIEW. In my hands, Preview will only sometimes predict the results of the print. However, almost always, Preview will corrupt the color balance of the resultant print without regart to the print’s apearance in Preview. The worst is printing from Preview.

As long as I folllow the instructions I posted above and DO NOT USE PREVIEW, I get consistant results.

Happy consistant printing. Harry
A
ajfrank
Jul 31, 2007
Duncan, I solved both problems of green color cast with Photoshop color management and ikon reversal of orientation after reinstalling the printer software. No help from Epson on this but Adobe tech pointed me in the right direction. Also, after the reinstall I printed b/w image with no color cast and without setting Epson color management to monochrome. Good luck, Arnold
CB
Curt_Basner
Aug 7, 2007
For Harry Miles:

In your first post on this thread, you said that you downloaded the latest driver for the Epson 2200 from ADOBE?? Did you mean EPSON? I you really did mean Adobe, where are printer drivers located on the Adobe site, as I’d like to try that myself!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections