F
Posted By
Fatcat125
Mar 12, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have photoshop CS2 and everytime I set my printer settings from ‘File>Print with Preview’ then from the ‘Output’ menu the print encoding type is always set to binary

I’ll put it back to ACII85 then make other adjustments
and it always goes back to binary

does anyone know why this is happening and how to get it to stay where i want it?

i’m using an epson RX580 printer if that helps

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

DM
Don_McCahill
Mar 12, 2007
Could it be because Photoshop files are in binary, and therefore the ASCII mode is not allowed?
B
Bernie
Mar 12, 2007
And does the binary encoding cause problems with your printer?
F
Fatcat125
Mar 14, 2007
it hasn’t casued problems with my prints since i got a new printer before they use be all kinds of weird colors
but i just thought you where sospose to always print in ascii though i could be wrong
B
Bernie
Mar 14, 2007
but i just thought you where sospose to always print in ascii

No
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Mar 14, 2007
For whatever it may be worth, here’s what the Help file says:

Choosing a print encoding method
By default, the printer driver transfers binary information to PostScript printers; however, you can choose to transfer image data using JPEG or ASCII85 encoding. (ASCII85 is a text-encoding method for binary data; it is more compact than ASCII encoding.) These options are not available for non-PostScript printers, including many inkjet printers.

Because JPEG-encoded files are smaller than binary files, they take less time to print; however, using JPEG encoding decreases image quality. Only PostScript Level 2 (or higher) printers support JPEG encoding; if you send a JPEG-encoded file to a PostScript Level 1 printer, you may get PostScript language errors.

Some print spooler programs, computer networks, and third-party printer drivers don’t support binary files or JPEG-encoded files. Also, some PostScript output devices accept binary and JPEG-encoded image data only through their AppleTalk and Ethernet ports, not their parallel or serial ports. In these situations, you can select the ASCII85 encoding method. However, ASCII85 files contain about twice as many characters and take twice as long to transfer as binary files.
F
Fatcat125
Mar 14, 2007
thank you, that gives me peace of mind 🙂

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections