D
Posted By
Dolly41
May 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need help. I load Photoshop Elements, and it loads until it gets to "Sorting Font List", then it freezes up. I have to cntrl, alt, delete, and the program is not responding. I have to shut everything down, go into safe mode, shut it down, and restart, then it works. It does this everytime I load it, or input new images. Any suggestions?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

RR
Raymond Robillard
May 28, 2004
You probably have a corrupted font. Problem is, without a precise knowledge of which font is required by Windows (I assume you’re running Windows..?), you might end up removing a required font by Windows.

Someone will most likely come up with a better solution, but so far, the only one I see is, if you did not add a few fonts recently (and happen to remember their names), you’ll have to move say half of them outside the font folder (C:\WINDOWS\FONTS) and restart Elements. If it fails again, you’ll know the defective font is in the last 50% of the them. Move half of those out again, and restart. Until you’ve successfully isolated the defective font.

I’m thinking as I’m writing, you might run a search on google for a font diagnostic software… Something with a 15 days trial period, or alike…

Ray
D
Dolly41
May 28, 2004
Thanks Ray for your tips! I’ll try it!
DJ
Donald_Jacobs
May 28, 2004
When I load the program it always says it needs to connect to the internet to download files. If I approve it downloads awexfile.txt and awedbfiles4.awe. Why does it always want these files? why doesn’t it store them? If I refuse the download it will not continue.

Dpm K
DS
Dick_Smith
May 28, 2004
DpmK,

That’s just Elements trying to download updates to the program. So far there have been none, wo don’t be bothered with it at all.

Go to Edit>Preferences>Adobe Online> and set the "check for updates" to "Never."

Dick
D
davee
May 28, 2004
A Windows add-on called TweakUI has a Font Repair tool (along with lots of others). It may already be on your system – look in Start, Settings, Control Panel. If it’s there click on it and choose the Repair tab then scroll down to Repair Font Folder.

If you don’t have TweakUI you can get it for all versions of windows from <http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui>

If you have corrupt font files then Font Agent 8.7 (free to try) at <http://download.com.com/3150-2316-0.html> may help
DJ
Donald_Jacobs
May 28, 2004
That’s my point. I can’t stop the program from trying to update or at least connect to the internet and then accessing your web site. I’d rather I be in control of updating, not the program. How can I stop this.
DJ
Donald_Jacobs
May 28, 2004
Sorry Dick, didn’t read your ENTIRE response before I replied. I’do what you suggested.

Thanks

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections