TG
Posted By
Tom_Grey
May 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I display the EXIF data in PE on images taken by my Canon 300D, it always shows "0.0" as the exposure bias value, rather than the actual exposure compensation value I set. However when I post my images to pbase, their condensed EXIF display shows the correct exposure compensation, so there must be some way of extracting it from the data I have. Any advice about how I can get PE to show the correct value?

With flash (I use a 550-EX) PE shows "undefined value" when I use the flash. I’d like to be able to recover the Flash Exposure Compensation value I’ve set for the shot. Any advice on that?

I’ve checked the PE online help, and it just tells me to look to my camera documentation for advice on EXIF settings. But the camera documentation doesn’t say anything about it either.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

DS
Dick_Smith
May 15, 2004
Tom,

Others will respond, I’m sure but I think it has to do with Elements being written before the 300d came out. Not all exif data is standard and that’s probably the reason it’s not showing it in Elements.

Dick
ED
Eva_Deck
May 15, 2004
Hi Tom,
PE doesn’t show the exposure compensation for my Kodak DX6440 either, but Irfanview shows everything. I just look there.

Eva
SS
Susan_S.
May 15, 2004
And I bet it dosn’t show the ISO value either… (which is one I sometimes want to know for my G3) The only program that seems to be able to read all the EXIF info is Canon’s own Image Browser (at least on the Mac). Elements does give a non zero value for exposure compensation in Elements for my G3 when I’ve used it but it isn’t one that is actually intelligible!
J
JPWhite
May 15, 2004
There are bugs in Version 7.00 of photoshop in the way it handles Exif data, 7.01 fixed those. Given that Elements 2.0 is based on Photoshop 7 and no updates have been issued for Elements 2.0 my guess is that Elements contains bugs with the way it handles Exif data.

ACDsee has no problem with all Exif data.

JP
TG
Tom_Grey
May 15, 2004
Thanks all — the simple fix for me turns out to be just to view the original capture image with Canon’s Zoombrowser, which I’ve only been using to download, not to view or organize — that shows both Exposure Compensation and Flash Exposure Compensation. (Edited and renamed versions of the original unfortunately don’t show these EXIF details, only basic speed, aperture, ISO, and flash on or off.) For this purpose, I won’t need the other viewers folks have mentioned, though it probably makes sense for me to get another viewer that does a better job with my pictures. I’ve just been filing and renaming them using Windows Explorer.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections