BK
Posted By
Big Kahuna
Jul 12, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using a Canon XSi and shoting RAW. Was considering buying Photoshop Elements 6.
Is that the wrong choice to be using with my RAW files or bite the bullet and go for Photoshop?

Thanks!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

ID
Ian D
Jul 12, 2008
"Big Kahuna" <bigkahunafl@{nospam}hotmail.com> wrote in message
I am using a Canon XSi and shoting RAW. Was considering buying Photoshop Elements 6.
Is that the wrong choice to be using with my RAW files or bite the bullet and go for Photoshop?

Thanks!

Photoshop Elements 6 has the Adobe Camera RAW Converter and RAW processing from Photoshop.
KK
Kurt Knoll
Jul 13, 2008
There you go I have about the same problem here. I have been using Adobe Photoshop first with Version 4 and did upgrade ever since. Up until now it has been a breeze using Photoshop since I could use the program to process raw files direct in the program and save it as a Tiff file for further processing. What a guy posted here and this makes since Raw files are dependent on pixel size and will not let me use the 12 mg pixels of my new Canon rebel raw format. Like always a an other fellow posted here it will not take long and adobe will com out with a new version greater than Photoshop CS 3. hope it will be soon i am at 75 on minimum pension and might have to rob the bank to get it.

Kurt Knoll
Photographs of the Canadian Northwest at www.kurtknoll.com/midway.html

or

Thanks!
KK
Kurt Knoll
Jul 13, 2008
There you go I have about the same problem here. I have been using Adobe Photoshop first with Version 4 and did upgrade ever since. Up until now it has been a breeze using Photoshop since I could use the program to process raw files direct in the program and save it as a Tiff file for further processing. What a guy posted here and this makes since Raw files are dependent on pixel size and will not let me use the 12 mg pixels of my new Canon rebel raw format. Like always a an other fellow posted here it will not take long and adobe will com out with a new version greater than Photoshop CS 3. hope it will be soon i am at 75 on minimum pension and might have to rob the bank to get it.

Kurt Knoll

or

Thanks!
RG
Roy G
Jul 13, 2008

Thanks!

RAW is irrelevant to this decision, since they both use the same Adobe Camera Raw Plugins to make the conversions.

I have heard that a pretty effective Converter is supplied by Canon with the Camera.

It really just depends on whether you need the extra facilities of big Photoshop, and are willing to pay the price.

Roy G
KK
Kurt Knoll
Jul 13, 2008
How good is this for you ? I have the program that came with the camera but it is still a two step process and not as good as working with adobe Photoshop.
Kurt Knoll.

"Roy G" wrote in message

Thanks!

RAW is irrelevant to this decision, since they both use the same Adobe Camera Raw Plugins to make the conversions.

I have heard that a pretty effective Converter is supplied by Canon with the Camera.

It really just depends on whether you need the extra facilities of big Photoshop, and are willing to pay the price.

Roy G
JM
Jim Mitchell
Jul 13, 2008
Juat wait for a Camer Raw update- That will be free of course at kleast until CS 4 comes out

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 00:43:28 GMT, "Kurt Knoll" wrote:

Kurt Knoll
or

Thanks!
KK
Kurt Knoll
Jul 13, 2008
You could be right the question now is who far will they allow me to go back to my previous updates.
Kurt Knoll.

"Jim Mitchell" wrote in message
Juat wait for a Camer Raw update- That will be free of course at kleast until CS 4 comes out

On Sun, 13 Jul 2008 00:43:28 GMT, "Kurt Knoll" wrote:

There you go I have about the same problem here. I have been using Adobe Photoshop first with Version 4 and did upgrade ever since. Up until now it has been a breeze using Photoshop since I could use the program to process raw files direct in the program and save it as a Tiff file for further processing. What a guy posted here and this makes since Raw files are dependent on pixel size and will not let me use the 12 mg pixels of my new Canon rebel raw format. Like always a an other fellow posted here it will not take long and adobe will com out with a new version greater than Photoshop CS 3. hope it will be soon i am at 75 on minimum pension and might
have to rob the bank to get it.

Kurt Knoll
or

Thanks!
RG
Roy G
Jul 13, 2008
"Kurt Knoll" wrote in message
How good is this for you ? I have the program that came with the camera but it is still a two step process and not as good as working with adobe Photoshop.
Kurt Knoll.

Don’t know, just going by what one Canon user showed during his talk to our Camera Club. He seemed to prefer the Canon Program – (was it Zoom Browser) – to the Adobe Camera Raw converter, because there were more and easier controls.

Personally, I now use Nikon Capture NX because I got it free, and Photoshop CS2 does not, and never will, have a converter for the D300 NEFs, and like you I don’t want to upgrade to CS3 or 4.

Roy G
KK
Kurt Knoll
Jul 13, 2008
I am waiting for 4 to come out soon.
kk

"Roy G" wrote in message
Kurt Knoll.

Don’t know, just going by what one Canon user showed during his talk to our Camera Club. He seemed to prefer the Canon Program – (was it Zoom Browser) – to the Adobe Camera Raw converter, because there were more and easier controls.

Personally, I now use Nikon Capture NX because I got it free, and Photoshop CS2 does not, and never will, have a converter for the D300 NEFs, and like you I don’t want to upgrade to CS3 or 4.

Roy G
ID
Ian D
Jul 13, 2008
kk

It probably is. Being a registered Elements owner, I got an email offer last week from Adobe for the full CS3 retail package for $299 US. Last year I had an offer at the same price from Adobe for CS2, not long before the release of CS3.
KK
Kurt Knoll
Jul 13, 2008
I just wonder. I do have adobe Photoshop CS and to upgrate to number 4 would i have to buy also CS2 and CS3.
Kurt Knoll.

"Ian D" wrote in message
kk

It probably is. Being a registered Elements owner, I got an email offer last week from Adobe for the full CS3 retail package for $299 US. Last year I had an offer at the same price from Adobe for CS2, not long before the release of CS3.
ID
Ian D
Jul 13, 2008
I just wonder. I do have adobe Photoshop CS and to upgrate to number 4 would i have to buy also CS2 and CS3.
Kurt Knoll.

"Ian D" wrote in message
kk

According to the Adobe US site, you can upgrade to CS3 for $199 US from Photoshop 7, CS, and CS2, so it would probably be the same for CS4. At most, they might drop 7 from the list.
KK
Kurt Knoll
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks

"Ian D" wrote in message
Kurt Knoll.

"Ian D" wrote in message
kk

According to the Adobe US site, you can upgrade to CS3 for $199 US from Photoshop 7, CS, and CS2, so it would probably be the same for CS4. At most, they might drop 7 from the list.
N
natator
Aug 21, 2008
Don’t forget Adobe Lightroom. The RAW conversion in that is very powerful indeed.

Hopefully there will be more concrete news on CS$ soon, as I am itching to see what it might hold.

Simon
http://darksideofthelens.com – Free Photoshop and Photoshop Elements video tutorials.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections