PS
Posted By
Patti_Speir
Apr 26, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having the same problem as Jason. I create slide show just how I want it with music etc. I burn to cd but only folders come up. What am I doing wrong?
I really wanted to give this show to my son for his birthday next week. I have burned 6 cds now and still only come up with folders. I have tried saving it as wmv and still no luck. I then tried saving it in a folder on desk top but the music didn’t travel with the slide show.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

O
o3v3tz
Apr 27, 2005
Patti,

I burn to cd but only folders come up. What am I doing wrong?

The fact that there are folders on the CD is neither good nor bad of itself. Your post does not include any description of attempting to play the slideshow, so my conclusion is that we don’t really know if these folders and files are OK or not.

If VCD is your intent, then try to play it in your TV DVD player. If a WMV file to play on a PC is your intent, then play the WMV file with Windows Media Player. Please post your results back to the forum.

really wanted to give this show to my son for his birthday next week.

If your son has a PC and your trial attempt at playing the VCD fails, then it will probably be quicker and simpler to make a file that will play on his PC for his birthday. This means save it as a WMV file on your hard drive with quality level of 800×600 Proof. Once that works, we can discuss how to write it to a CD to give to him.

Note: in the tutorial at the Adobe site referenced in message 3 of this thread, Step 9 discusses choosing an Output Option.

Barb Olson
PS
Patti_Speir
Apr 27, 2005
Barb, Thank you for reply, I am very new to adobe so I will need lay mans terms on this program, that said…
I attempted to open files:
CDI file there is nothing in,

MPEGAV DAT FILE which has 87,222 kb on it Says you are attempting to open dat file, files are used by operating systems could damage your system
OPEN WITH: or CANCEL,

EXT file opens elements but no pics or music
VCD file opens to 4 more files click on any of these and it tells you file format not supported.

I tried opening slide in windows media player, slide came through fine but no music. I have saved it in WMV 800 x 600 proof. I also attempted to play in my DVD, which is on the approved list w/adobe, and it just says no disc in.
The slide show and music in photoshop comes out great. Have I given you enough detail?
O
o3v3tz
Apr 27, 2005
Patti

For the VCD disc, the best thing is to try to play it on your TV DVD player. Opening the files individually on your PC will not help.

I tried opening slide in windows media player, slide came through fine but no music. I have saved it in WMV 800 x 600 proof

For the WMV file, unfortunately I do not know why the music did not play when you used Windows Media Player. I will think about this and maybe someone else will have a suggestion.

I also attempted to play in my DVD, which is on the approved list w/adobe, and it just says no disc in.

Please explain what you were trying to play in the DVD. Was it the VCD format CD disc ? If yes, then I suggest trying play it in your TV DVD player instead.

Barb
PS
Patti_Speir
Apr 27, 2005
yes, Barb, it was the disc that I had burned that ended up with just folders on it that could not be opened or utilized. I did try on my tv dvd but it didn’t do anything except say on my tv that there was no disc in dvd player
O
o3v3tz
Apr 27, 2005
it didn’t do anything except say on my tv that there was no disc in dvd player

Well then it is possible that your DVD player can not play VCDs. With multiple people on this thread, I am not sure who has done what
– did you check your instruction booklet for the DVD player about playing VCDs or did you check www.videohelp.com – Lists – DVD players for the capability of your DVD player?

For the WMV file, you might want to try different music – or you might want to contact Adobe support if no one else posts suggestions.

<http://www.adobe.com/support/phonenumbers/main.html>

Adobe may charge for support – but it should accomplish at least building the WMV file of the slideshow in the timeframe that you wanted.

Barb
LM
Lou_M
Apr 28, 2005
Actually, you can play VCDs on your computer if you have WinDVD, PowerDVD, or VLC:

<http://www.videolan.org/vlc/>
PS
Patti_Speir
Apr 28, 2005
I have another program from HP cannot do as much as with adobe but I created slide show with music burned it and it played fine on my PC and my DVD. so the problem is in the Adobe instructions I guess. I see Jason had the same problem as me has he found the answer?
O
o3v3tz
Apr 28, 2005
Patti,

What type of file is your music file – what is the file extension?

Did you use the add Audio from the Organizer or the Add Audio from a Folder choice?

Barb O
PS
Patti_Speir
Apr 28, 2005
boy, Barb, you got me. I looked everywhere and have no idea where to find the name of the ext only thing that came up was autocd but it is working out of windows media player.
I have added some of the music to the organizer, which I use and also use some from folder. But like I said the slide show with music worked from an HP program that I have. The program just doesn’t do all that I want, as in adobe. I really can’t afford to call adobe but I may just have to.
KF
Karlyn_Fry
Apr 29, 2005
I am having problems creating a quality CD from my slide show. I can watch it in Adobe photoshop and it looks and sounds great, then I try and copy to a CD (about 5 times now) and when I replay on my TV DVD it is fuzzy (sort of blurry and spotty in a digital sort of way…) and the music skips and jumps – I did go into edit preferences of the slide show and switched it to ‘proof’ version, but still it copies poorly. I’ve thought about buying a DVD burner and seeing if it’s possible to burn to a DVD at a better quality (though I don’t think I’ve seen an option drop-down to burn to dvd….)

Is there a way to create a higher quality CD (maybe I’ve got the wrong preferences set up)? Is it possible to burn to a DVD?
O
o3v3tz
Apr 29, 2005
Karlyn,

Since you said you switched to Proof, you might have already read the following Adobe tech doc –

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/330847.html>

But if not, I suggest that you read it.

The short answer is that for a better quality slideshow with music and transitions to play on a TV, a DVD burner is an appropriate investment.

Additionally, the techdoc says that you can burn higher quality VCDs in the Photoshop Album product. That is true but one fact not stated in this techdoc is that the higher resolution photo VCD can not include music.

Based on my experience and other posts that I have read your odds of getting the quality you want on a VCD are not good. You have already tried Solution 2 in the techdoc by using Proof. The only other thought is to downsize a copy of the photos to 800×600 in the Elements Editor before starting the Slideshow creation. The odds of this being sufficient to solve the problem are not great, so I would try it on 1 or 2 photos first.

Based on reading the Organizer Your Photos with Elements 3 book (see <http://photofanatic.com/> for more info on the book), you will only see Burn to DVD in the PS Elements 3 drop down box if you also have the Adobe Premiere Elements product installed. Photoshop Elements will not burn a Custom Slideshow to a DVD.

Solutions that people have used are:
(you might search the forum for direct comments from other people)

– save the Elements 3 custom slideshow at best quality WMV (800×600 Proof), then use the DVD burning software that came with their DVD burner to create (author) the DVD. This produces quality better than the E 3 VCD, but not as good as directly creating a slideshow and then burning to DVD (because of the intermediate step of making the compressed format WMV file).

– solution 1 from the tech doc (If you have Premiere Elements and a DVD burner, send the images from Photoshop Elements to Premiere Elements and burn a DVD). However, note that Premiere Elements is primarily a video editing program, so purchasing it for the purpose of doing slideshows is somewhat questionable.

– purchase a separate slideshow program for your slideshows. Ignore the slideshow functions of Elements. Enjoy the Editing and Organization functions of Elements, while using a different program specifically designed for slideshows.

One additional possibility that does not have all the artistic creativity of creating a Slideshow is to use a TV DVD player that can display JPEG images from a CD as the means of displaying your photos on TV. Some of the TV DVD players will also support music, but it is nothing fancy and there is probably no choice of transitions. Photo quality should be better than VCDs.

Well, that was a long response. Since there was not a simple answer to your question, I attempted to lay out the alternatives. I suspect that if I missed something, another person will post with their comments.

Barb O
KF
Karlyn_Fry
Apr 29, 2005
Thanks Barb! I’ve heard of software called ‘Muvee’ that is suposed to burn a slide show pretty well to DVD. I will probably go and buy the new software and a DVD burner to get what I need…sadly, I assumed Adobe Photoshop Elements would spit out something fabulous for me… I will also try copying from a WMV after buying a DVD burner….

Thanks again for your response.
Y
yang572033
Apr 30, 2005
Karlyn.
If you want purchase a slideshow software, there is another choice you can consider: Photo2VCD/DVD. it’s a practical yet easy-to-use software to convert photos or picture to VCD/DVD. You can download its trial version to see if it up to your expectation.
Trial version : http://download.photo2vcd.com/photo2vcd_trial.exe The website: http://www.photo2vcd.com
PS
Patti_Speir
Apr 30, 2005
Has anyone come up with the answer to jason moles or my problem with burning the slideshow onto a cd?
PS
Patti_Speir
Apr 30, 2005
Has anyone out there tried the Pixplay? Is it recommended over the photoshop 3.0 for slides?
O
o3v3tz
Apr 30, 2005
Patti,

I looked everywhere and have no idea where to find the name of the ext only thing

One way to find the file extension for music files that were imported to the Organizer is to go to the View Menu of the Organizer and do View > Media Types then check Audio files. Then you can see Audio files in the Photo Browser and the file name will say ".mp3" or whatever the file type is. Please post the file type(s) that you see for your music files.

light_jazz.mp3 appears to be one of the music files that was distributed with Elements 3. It has a date of 9/26/2003 which may help you to find it in the photo browser sequence. You can also do a Find on File Name.

Suggest that make a test Custom Slideshow using only this music file (light_jazz.mp3) to help isolate if the problem is specific to your music file. Not all software supports all music files, so it is very possible that one software program (like your HP) can use a music file and the Adobe Elements Custom Slideshow can not.

I have created a Custom Slideshow using MP3 files from the Organizer, saved it as a WMV file and played it back with Windows Media Player 10. So it can be done.

Barb

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections