CH
Posted By
Christian_H
Jan 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Grateful for advice on if and how I can burn a Photoshop Elements 2.0 pdf file on dvd for showing on dvd player and tv.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 2, 2004
As far as I know, there isn’t a DVD player anywhere that will play PDF files. If you want to create slide shows that will play on your DVD player connected to your TV, then you are going to have to use different software. Personally, I use Pinnacle Studio 8. It is a video editing software that will enable me to create a video CD or a DVD. There are a number of other software packages as well, but I won’t take time to list all of them. The disk that plays on your DVD player has to follow some very strict guidelines and meet certain specifications or it will not work. The newer DVD players will play the video CDs which can be created with any CD burning software. However, a lot of DVD players will only play DVDs which means you will have to make a larger investment to be able to accomplish your goal. Some of the newer DVD players (mine included) will actually play a CD that just contains JPEG images. My player will even allow me to select a specific folder. But unfortunately, I think the only way you can play your PDF slide show is on a computer where Adobe Reader has been installed. The older version was called Adobe Acrobat Reader, but the newest version is just Adobe Reader.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 2, 2004
OR ‘ APEX’ DVD player..around $40 at Walmart and Sears will play a disc with JPEG pics…that’s all you would need…it performs the slideshow for you…you have to burn to CD-R’s only though with your regulard CD burner. It also plays KODAK picture disks. Oh, it also plays DVD movies ;)..a cheap investment to get what you want…I got one.
CH
Christian_H
Jan 3, 2004
Thank you for your comments and advice.

I do have Pinnacle Studio 8 which I have used with a DVD burner with success in other cases for viewing on TV. However, it could not handle the slideshow with about 700 pictures.

I also have Windows Movie Maker which creates a .wmv file. As far as I can figure out it can only burn a CD (and not a DVD) which I could not view on TV after burning because the DVD player claimed it was an audio file (???).

Any help and advice you can give how to use Movie Maker or Studio 8 would be appreciated.
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 3, 2004
Have you done a Google search for forums or tutorials for either of those pieces of software? An Adobe Elements forum probably isn’t your best resource for detailed instruction about using other programs. 🙂
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 3, 2004
Christian,

As far as Windows Movie Maker is concerned, if you use it in its default mode it will create a Media Player file. However, if you choose to make a movie using the "Save to my Computer" option, on the second page of the wizard there is an "Other settings" where you can choose other formats. However, I only use Movie Maker as a last resort. I have done most of my work with Studio 8.

I have never created a slide presentation with 700 images. That is a rather large file. First of all, your resolution doesn’t need to be any higher than 100 PPI, and the dimensions of the picture don’t need to exceed 720×480. With a slide presentation that large I would probably create 5 or 6 smaller presentations in Studio 8 and render each of those presentations to an AVI file. Then I would create a new presentation and use those 5 or 6 AVI files as the source material. My experience has been Studio doesn’t handle single long presentations very well. But if you break your presentations into smaller pieces and then combine the rendered smaller presentations and add your music in the final presentation you can get along pretty well. All of you have to do is use one of the Studio 8 transitions between each of your smaller presentations and you will have a seamless final project. I know this hasn’t really given you a lot of information, and I apologize for giving this kind of instruction in this forum. If you would like further information or help from me in this regard, perhaps we should find a method for communicating via e-mail.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 3, 2004
Jim, are you saying that digital images for TV viewing don’t need to be any higher than 100 ppi ? Just want to clarify that for my personal knowledge.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jan 3, 2004
Yes, Jodi, that is correct. And the dimensions of your picture don’t need to exceed 720×480 because that is the dimensions of a DVD movie.

Added later:

Wait a minute! Those dimensions are true if you are creating an actual DVD or video CD. However, if you are going to just burn the JPEG images to a CD, just leave them in their original dimensions at 72 PPI like they came from the camera, and they will display just fine.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 4, 2004
Thank You Jim ! Good to know. I always wondered about the TV resolution. I just restocked my CD-R’s cause that’s what my el cheapo APEX DVD player accepts for photo CD’s. Time to get some pics together for TV slideshow ! Thank You !
LM
Lou_M
Jan 5, 2004
720×480 is TV’s real resolution (at least for NTSC in the US) and DPI/PPI has no meaning.

And since NTSC TV has rectangular pixels, the TV’s 720×480 pixels translates into a computer’s 640×480 square pixels. So any 640×480 image on your computer would show up at full resolution on a US TV.
CW
Colin_Woodbridge
Jan 5, 2004
Photoshop Album has the ability to burn slide shows onto CD-Rs as a VCD. Note, however, that not all DVD players support the VCD format. You can also add a sound track as well to play along with the slide show.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections