CM
Posted By
carole_mullen
May 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I wonder if anyone could help. I have had PE2 for a couple of months and have been working my way through it – but now when the program has loaded, and I create a new file, try to browse through my image file (My pictures) the program freezes and a message saying this is a non-responsive program. I have uninstalled the software and re-installed, but the same problem occurs – any ideas!

Carole

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JB
John_Biluk
May 14, 2004
I am having the lock-up problem also. I am having this happen after re-loading elements 2.0. I found a fix to this when I loaded elements 2.0 the first time (over a year ago). However I can’t find the fix that I used. I know it is in the forum index somewhere but where is the question?
Adobe has made this very frustrating. They know that they have a problem but do not provide the fix on their own. Not a very responsive support team for such a "top notch" NASDQ listed company.
I have put enough time into this already and think it is a shame to have to more into this when I paid a premium price for this software.
Please help me / us if you know what to do.
Thanks
John B.
CM
carole_mullen
May 15, 2004
Sorry to hear you are having the same problem as me (I thought I created the problem for myself) A friend of mine suggested that it could a corrupt image that was causing this, but I don’t know where to start to look for it. Please let me know if you find the solution. I agree with you and hope Adobe will help with a fix. This is not cheap software. I have bought a couple of books to help me use the program, but at the moment I don’t seem to be getting very far!

Carole
EW
Ed_Wurster
May 15, 2004
carole_mullen wrote:
Sorry to hear you are having the same problem as me (I thought I created the problem for myself) A friend of mine suggested that it could a corrupt image that was causing this, but I don’t know where to start to look for it. Please let me know if you find the solution. I agree with you and hope Adobe will help with a fix. This is not cheap software. I have bought a couple of books to help me use the program, but at the moment I don’t seem to be getting very far!

I think your friend may be right, that you have a corrupt image, or at least one that PSE is having a problem with.

I’m assuming that you know what directory is being browsed. Then take all images out of there before opening PSE file browser. While you are doing this, look at the file names and sizes. Is there a very large file, or one with an unusual name?

Also, I assume that you have reset preferences for PSE, and found that this does not solve the problem.

Have you run a disk maintenance program to check the hard disk?

Ed Wurster
http://www.ewurster.com/blog/
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 15, 2004
Carole, John,

The first thing to do is to move the pictures currently in that folder out of there. Then, bring back only half. Start Elements and see if the problem is still present. If not, you’ll know the problem is in the other half of your pictures. Bring back half of this other half in the pictures folder. Start Element again, and so fort. Eventually, you will target the defective image.

Ray
CM
carole_mullen
May 16, 2004
Thanks Ed & Ray

I think (fingers crossed) I have solved the problem. I had a good look at "My pictures" file and deleted a lot of "junk" – I could not find any that seemed suspect, I then decided to have a good maintenance session – it took near two hours to "defrag" did not realised it had been so long! I then re-installed PE2 and it’s working perfectly (mind you I still can’t understand a lot of it). Many thanks to you all for your help – I am sure "I shall return" (as Arnie would say ) Thanks again. I might get a decent night’s sleep tonight!

Carole
CS
Chuck_Snyder
May 16, 2004
Carole, I think General Douglas MacArthur said "I shall return"; Ah-nold said "I’ll be back…."

🙂

Chuck
RR
Raymond Robillard
May 16, 2004
Glad to have been of help 🙂
CM
carole_mullen
May 17, 2004
Chuck

You might be right there!! – Anyway, you know what I mean!!

Thanks again for your help – by the way everything is "hunkidorry" today with PE2.

Carole

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections