AS
Posted By
Al_Shay
Dec 2, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently got more memory to handle Photoshop Elements 1.0, from 256MB to 759MB of RAM. The RAM was installed by a friend who’s a computer expert and he did a memory check that showed it was running okay. I’m running Windows 2000 and everything else runs just fine. However, when running Elements, using the tools, the screen will turn the color I was using in Elements. From there, the only way to get the computer to respond is to restart it. Anyone know a solution to this problem?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 2, 2003
Al, I don’t know if this will help but I had a similar problem with my PE2 after deleting preferences. I too have lots of memory installed on my computer (512mb). At any rate, mine started locking up when I upped the resolution before doing straighten and crop. I found that the size resolution setting had went back to a default setting that had resampling and unconstrained checked…so apparently it was upsampling when I increased my resolution making it too darn big for my system to deal with. I saw your post and thought this just maybe what is happening with you too. Since I unchecked resample, I have not…knock on wood…had this problem again. At any rate, good luck.

Terri
R
Redmondite
Dec 2, 2003
I’ve had PE 1 lock up on me. With 640MB of RAM I knew it wasn’t the RAM. After a little investigating it turned out to be the drive where the temporary files are stored was low of free space. When I worked with a large file (say 80MB TIFF) the temp drive would run out of disk space and my system would hang.

Problem solved by replacing the drive with an 80 GB one.

With the color change you might also want to look into video driver issues.

PS. I’m also running W2K.

wrote in message
I recently got more memory to handle Photoshop Elements 1.0, from 256MB to
759MB of RAM. The RAM was installed by a friend who’s a computer expert and he did a memory check that showed it was running okay. I’m running Windows 2000 and everything else runs just fine. However, when running Elements, using the tools, the screen will turn the color I was using in Elements. From there, the only way to get the computer to respond is to restart it. Anyone know a solution to this problem?
AS
Al_Shay
Dec 4, 2003
Thanks! I’ll try and see if that works.
DS
Debbie_Steiger
Dec 4, 2003
Hi, I am new at this and don’t know if I am posting on the proper board.

Anyway, I have had my Adobe Elements 1.0 for almost a year now and it was working great. Last week we had some PC trouble and I had to re-install Adobe from the disc. Now I am unable to preview pictures from my picture folders and the Text Enhancer in Recipes is no longer working. I am perplexed..so any help would sure be appreciated. Thanks.

Debbie
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 4, 2003
Debbie,

Tyr deleting the preferences folder. For Windows hold 3 keys down together, Alt/Shift/Ctrl, launch PSE and when the box shows up, answer yes and let it load. The file will be rebuilt and is often the cause of quirky problems. If this doesn’t fix it come back.
DS
Debbie_Steiger
Dec 4, 2003
Hi Nancy, and thanks for your help. I don’t mean to sound stupid, sorry, but I am not sure what you mean. Also, I just booted up the program and there are more things happening that shouldn’t. It’s not allowing me to load more than one graphic to add to a picture now. I am getting memory errors but I have lots of memory, and it’s not allowing me to save.

I am more perplexed than I was an hour ago. I just love this program and I just can’t understand what’s happening all of a sudden.

I was wondering if it might be a good idea to un-install Adobe and try re-installing it again?????

Totally confused, Debbie
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 4, 2003
Debbie, post your operating system and some computer specs. Maybe someone will be able to come up with other ideas. It might also be helpful to describe what kinds of things you had to do to your system that caused you to have to reinstall software.
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 5, 2003
Debbie,

You say you can’t save. The file you were working on wasn’t on a CD was it?

I would try deleting the preferences file before reinstalling. You would have to delete this file anyway before reinstalling as the uninstall process does not delete it. This file easily becomes corrupted and can be responsible for all kinds of weird happenings which is why you should first try dumping it to see if your problems clear up. To do this…

For Windows, with PSE closed…
Before you launch the program, poise your fingers over three keys on the keyboard. These are Alt, Shift and Control. ***Immediately*** after clicking the PSE icon to launch the program hold those three keys down together until a box pops up asking about deleting the preferences file. Answer yes and let the program finish loading (lift up your fingers). If you weren’t fast enough with your fingers to get the box to pop up, let the program finish loading and try again. Let us know if the problems went away.

As Beth said, it is best to give plenty of information about your system when posting. In your case, since you have had computer problems, a little run down on the nature of those problems might be helpful.

Nancy
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 5, 2003
Debbie,

Before doing soething as drastic as a uninstall/reinstall, make sure you have your product registration number! If on windows, did you try Nancy’s suggestion of holding down the alt, shift, and control keys after hitting icon to start program…and holding them down util a dialog box comes up, then answering yes to deleting preferences. If on a mac, I’m not sure what the key sequence is for doing this operation…you’ll have to post again and sit tight until a mac user hits on this topic.

Terri.
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 5, 2003
Oops posted before I noticed you are on a windows machine. So, go ahead and use those keys to delete preferences. It can’t hurt.
DS
Debbie_Steiger
Dec 11, 2003
Hello Beth,

Sorry for just getting back to you. I am running Windows XP, and have just over 60% free space on the pc.

Our problem started when we updated Kazaa and didn’t like the upgrade at all. We decided to remove the program altogether and when we did that, some other programs weren’t working properly..sooo..we did the worst thing we could have done and that was a system recovery. However, before proceding with the recovery, it said that it would NOT be harmful to any software we had installed. Also, we upgraded our anti virus and firewall to Nortons 2004 Professional and I am wondering too if this may be conflicting with my Adobe.

Thanks, and again, sorry it has taken some time to get back to you, but with Christmas so near, I have been busy. Thanjks again, Debbie
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 11, 2003
Hi, Debbie. OK, that Norton jumped right out at me. Many people can successfully run Norton with Adobe products, but others can’t. In your case, I’d suggest first to uninstall Elements totally, including a Find for any files or folders that get left behind after using Uninstall. Next remove Norton in the same way – the Uninstall and a Find for stragglers. Now put Elements back on. If it runs properly, you’ve identified the problem. Once Elements is loaded, you should be able to reinstall Norton, although you might have to shut it down while actually running Elements.

Also remember to always shut down antivirus software before installing any software. This is pretty standard operating procedure.

After you’ve done this, please post back and let us know whether or not the problems with Elements were resolved. Good luck!
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 11, 2003
I could have sworn Mac McDougald mentioned Kazaa causing a pile of problems on systems….not sure he was the one but maybe he’ll be around to confirm this.
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 11, 2003
Jodi, here’s what Mac said:

Kazaa.
Includes lots of SpyWare. Will nicely help your system crawl. Be sure and get Gator, Xupiter, and all the sex site popup ones you can too; you might as well be consistent.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 11, 2003
Chuck, ya ya, that’s it…i knew I had a memory 😉 Thanks
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 12, 2003
Debbie,

I would also suggest you go to the Norton site and see what "fix" they have posted for the 2004 version. There is apparently a bug inherent in the program (involving js) which slows most people’s computer to a crawl.
B
b58n62121
Dec 17, 2003
I’m not sure this relates to the same issue. I am able to crop & straighten two scanned photos but when I use "Save AS.." the application crashes and the new images are not saved. I was able to work around this by first zooming in on the image and making "brightness and contrast adjustments" or further cropping each image. Then I could Save As.. and it would work. I have no idea why this works – but it is not an efficient way to work.

Maybe the problem is the allocated memory.

I have 1 gig ram; 867ghz Titanium Powerbook G4 w/ Creative Suites Premium.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 17, 2003
b58n62121 – you might want to try posting on the forum for users of full Photoshop. This is the Elements area. Creative Suites is pretty new – and nobody here uses it. When you do post, include the operating system you’re using. A couple of things come to mind, but since this is the wrong forum, you’d be better off getting help from people more familiar with the software.
DS
Debbie_Steiger
Dec 20, 2003
Hi,

Thankyou everyone for your help..it’s much appreciated even though I am slow to get back to you.

Thanks Beth.. I did as you suggested in hopes that that would work. Unfortunatley, no. I have written to Norton about the problem also and am waiting for an answer from them. Abobe ran perfectly with our Norton Professional 2003 but not so with the 2004.

I am not very computer savvy, so I hope you don’t mind if I ask what might be a stupid question. If I shut down everything in my task bar including Norton will I still be wide open to the Internet and get a possible virus or worm? Or does my modem have to be disconnected also? I thought if that worked I could do that and work in the program until this problem is resolved, but I sure don’t want to take dumb risks either. I know just enough to be dangerous….

Thanks so much again, Debbie
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 20, 2003
Getting a worm or virus needs to have some "help" for the most part. There are some that can worm their way in through open ports (yes, that pun was intended!) but the most common ones are spread through e-mail attachments when somebody is just sooo nosy that they have to look at what they’ve been sent by someone they don’t even know. I wouldn’t ever recommend running a Windows machine without antivirus software when surfing or using e-mail, but I wouldn’t think there’d be much danger of disabling it while you’re using Elements. Just make sure you have Edit>Preferences>Adobe Online set to Never so it doesn’t go online while launching.

Do you have broadband or dial up service? If you have dial-up, you’re only online when you choose to be. With broadband you would be connected constantly. Many people on broadband also have routers and firewalls, too, though, and there’s some protection there. I have my computers set up so I can disable the DSL connection whenever I want to; maybe you could do that, too.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections