Multiple Installations of Different Versions of PS?

WA
Posted By
W_Allen
Oct 26, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I have every version of PS from 7 through CS3. 7 was a full version the rest upgrades as will CS4 eventually be.

I’d like to be able to run 2 working copies on 2 remote computers not connected to the internet. I know I can’t run 2 copies of CS3. I understand they can be installed but there is some sort of call in or on-line activation each time you want to use one or another.

But!

Can I run CS3 on one and CS2 or CS on the less used one…Both computers in my name. Or even an older version? Or are they all related back to PS7?

Thanks,

Warren

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Buko
Oct 26, 2008
They are all under one license you can only use one at a time. They are only for you to use.

You can’t hire someone and let them use an older version while you use a newer version. You need 2 licenses for that.
WA
W_Allen
Oct 26, 2008
Thanks,

But I don’t recall saying I hired someone.

There are other reasons, much less heinous, that could make this practical to amateur photographers.

The frustration of activating and de activating is something I would like to avoid as is the cost of $700 for another version.

Thanks again,

W
SS
Steven_Scotten
Oct 26, 2008
If they’re both your computers and you’re not running them both at the same time you can run the same version on both computer.

At least, that was the case the last time I paid attention to the license (CS2).

If you want to have them both on your desk side-by-side running the same software at the same time while you go back and forth from computer to computer, you ought to have two licenses, but nothing would technically prevent you from doing that.

You don’t have to activate and deactivate an installation every time you run the software.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 26, 2008
You don’t have to activate and deactivate an installation every time you run the software

… provided that you are not trying to ACTIVATE it on more than two computers at the same time.
SS
Steven_Scotten
Oct 26, 2008
… provided that you are not trying to ACTIVATE it on more than two computers at the same time.

As usual, I’m confused. What do you mean by "the same time"? Are we talking about trying to perform the activation at exactly the same moment?

Here’s what I did:

* Install CS2 on desktop
* Activate CS2 on desktop
* Install CS2 on laptop
* Activate CS2 on laptop (this was less than an hour after I activated CS2 on the desktop) * Continue to use both for years without ever thinking about activation again.

I haven’t installed CS4 on the laptop yet, but it’s an old G4 iBook so I’m hesitant. I’ve only had CS4 for a couple of days anyhow. Maybe the activation process has changed between CS2 and CS4?

Or did you hit all-caps on the wrong word and were trying to point out that I can’t activate it on MORE THAN two computers at the same time? Two is OK but three is not, perhaps?

I don’t think I broke the space-time continuum by installing and activating both. I read the license and I didn’t break that either.
B
Buko
Oct 26, 2008
You can install on as many computers as you like you are allowed 2 activations at any one time.

CS2 has unlimited activation/deactivation.

With CS3 you have 20 activation/deactivations CS4 is probably the same.
WA
W_Allen
Oct 26, 2008
Sorry to be so dense about this…

But I guess what is possible is to install on 2 computers. Open and use on those 2 computers. If I sell one and want to use on a 3rd, I have to deactivate one of the others.?

As said with CS3 I can only swap out 3 times?

is this closer to how it works?

(sorry but I’ll be traveling shortly after I receive the 2nd Mac and not have mush time to either find out about this or make other photo editing arrangements)

Thanks,

W
SS
Steven_Scotten
Oct 26, 2008
Yes, you can install and activate on two computers. If you buy a third and want to retire one of the original two, you deactivate the one you want to retire before activating the new one.

I don’t know how many times you can activate and deactivate. Buko said 20 times. If you only have two computers, you’ll never need to worry about that. Even if you buy one computer every six months you’ll probably upgrade from CS3 before you hit that twentieth, unless you try to juggle two activations on three machines on an ongoing basis.
B
Buko
Oct 26, 2008
There are some folk who felt it was necessary to deactivate every night after work or every time they backed up their Hard drives. they ran out of activations fast. You should also remove any adobe software from a computer you sell. I personally would wipe the drive and reinstall the system from scratch.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections