D
Posted By
dddiam
Dec 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
What are the features/functionality differences between P.E.1 and P.E.2?

What are the features/functionality differences between P.E.2 and Photoshop 6 or 7 ?

I have a version of P.E.1 that was bundled with my scanner. Is there a discount upgrade license to P.E.2?

– David

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ray
Dec 22, 2003
David,

That question was partially answered in this thread (difference between PE2 and PE7)

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?13@203.hAodbbzVOD8.4 @.2ccf054b/3

Ray
D
dddiam
Dec 24, 2003
Thanks Ray.

That info helps (at least to the extent that I understand the listed P 7 features).

Can anyone shed light on the differences between P.E.1 and P.E.2? I want to determine what I would get out of purchasing an upgrade.

– David
R
Ray
Dec 24, 2003
One thing I noted in PE2 that’s not in PE1 is the ability so save selections. That’s handy enough for me that I wouldn’t go without it.
Also, the brush engine of PE1 is based on PS6, the one in PE2 is based on PS7. If I remember correctly, I think also the Quick Fix and Color Variations were not present in PE1.

Ray
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 24, 2003
I think the Selection Brush is new, and version 2 has a nice Picture Package and a much improved Web Photo Gallery.
R
Ray
Dec 24, 2003
Beth, you’re right about the selection brush, I remember it’s not in PE1.

Ray
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 24, 2003
dddiam,

This link will shed a little light on the differences between version 1 and 2 of PSE.

<http://www.friendsofed.com/books/1903450802/update/>
D
dddiam
Dec 24, 2003
Thanks, everyone.

It appears from the "Digital Photography with Photoshop Elements" book notes that there are few real, essential differences between PE1 and PE2. Of course, there could be processing algorithm improvements that are not apparent from just looking at features (albeit unlikely).

Although Ed is correct that his book can be used with PE2, from a marketing perspective, he should upgrade it. The store shelves are lined with PE2 books, which give them a competitive edge over any books that do not specify PE2 in their title.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a good PE book? I am looking for one that provides an understanding of the principles, algorithms and approaches for maximizing the use of the various features. The menus and features themselves, I can explore on my own. I have also used PE for graphics, having nothing to do with photos. It would be a plus to have that aspect also addressed.

Thanks for your help and information.

– David
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 24, 2003
David

While there are many many good books out there I have a favourite I recommend
to beginners. This book will not tell you all the ‘ins’ and ‘outs’ but it will get you up an running in such a short time it is incredible. It consists of 50 exercises and you can easily do them all in a week; although you may want to savour them. The book is ’50 FAST DIGITAL PHOTO TECHNIQUES’, It is written by: Gregory Georges Publisher: Hungry Minds, Inc. 292 Pages, 32-page color insert CD-ROM included ISBN: 0-7645-3578-1 List price: $24.99 and you can get a look at it on this web site.

http://www.reallyusefulpage.com/50techniques/index.shtml

Once you have mastered this you can move on to more advanced books but you will easily be able to take part in the challenge after only a hand full of exercises out of this book.

Grant

P.S. Don’t worry too much of the differences between the version of Elements Our resident artist Jodi Frye is a user of Elements 1 and when you see her work you will realize just how powerful Elements is.
D
dddiam
Dec 27, 2003
Thanks, Grant.

I’ll definitely take a look at the "50 Fast…" book.

What are your favorites among the more advanced books?

– David
GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 27, 2003
David

While I have lots of "advanced" books on Elements this question is much harder to answer. Each book I have does add a bit to my knowledge none has increased my knowledge to the same degree. I happen to like photography so some of the books based on this area are used more often, but that may not be your cup of tea. Once you have mastered the basics you do not have to limit your self to books on Elements because quite a bit of what is taught in books on full Photoshop will apply. "Photoshop Restoration & Retouching" by Katrin Eismann and "The Photoshop Elements Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby are two I use but as I said thy may not be related to your area of interest.

If you stick to this form you will find that in a short time you will gain about as much knowledge as most advanced books teach you. People here will help you out when you ask question, will point out free tools that will raise the power of Elements even closer to Photoshop and just by reading what others ask you will introduced to new areas. If you try the Challenges you will hone you graphic and/or photographic skills even more( it is not even necessary to post them merely trying them will help).

Sorry for being a bit wishy-washy on this question but I really don’t have favourite advanced books.

Grant
D
dddiam
Dec 27, 2003
Thanks, Grant.

Your answer is not wishy washy at all. It is quite helpful.

My approach to learning has always been to start with my own experimentation. Then I do web research on specific areas of interest. Finally, I frustrate myself trying to find a book that contains only those items and techniques with which I am not already familiar. Of course there are none, so, like you, I end up with several books, each of which adds a little bit to my knowledge.

– David

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections