DK
Posted By
David_Kelsey
Jul 2, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Excuse me if this has been asked before. Is there any method of selecting, say, four different pictures and placing them automatically on an A4 sheet, at 4 inches wide and auto cropped to length to fit? This seems such an obvious requirement, I can’t believe it isn’t available in at least one of the PS programs. Currently I do it by setting up an A4 canvas and manually moving the pictures into place.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 2, 2004
About auto cropping: how will decide the computer to crop the grass, but not the heads of the subjects?

The best to print multiple images, is to use file>automate>picture package. To choose different images, just click on an image in the page preview…
DK
David_Kelsey
Jul 5, 2004
Thanks Pierre, I will try that.

Autocropping – I would set width to 4 inches on a landscape picture, and allow computer to crop length only, equally around the centre. If this is done in image size from a 6 inch long digital photo on my Olympus, setting the 4 inches and retaining proportion gives a length of something like 5.65 inches (without checking), which will not quite fit on an A4 page.

But your suggestion sounds best!
DK
David_Kelsey
Jul 5, 2004
I couldn’t make it work, Pierre. The CRTL/Click method of making multiple selections does not work, and all I get is four of the same picture. Clicking on the preview window didn’t do anything either, unless I clicked in the wrong place. If I click on OK after each picture selection, the window just closes and puts the four identical pictures on the page. I am using PS 6.

What am I doing wrong?
DK
David_Kelsey
Jul 5, 2004
I have also tried PS7, Elements, and Photodeluxe 4, but none will do it.
PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 5, 2004
in PS7, start picture package. navigate to your directory, then choose an image. That image will be applied to the four copies.
Now, if you mouse over any of the copies, a message "click to select a file" will appear. Click on the image, and you get a browse window that allows you to add another image… This is verified in PS7.

And corroborated by about.com

Use Printer Package if you want …

to mix different sizes of images on the same page,
or multiple copies of the same image,
or to mix different sizes and different images, or
a text overlay printed on the image (can include custom text, filename, description, copyright, credit, or title).
DK
David_Kelsey
Jul 8, 2004
Thanks Pierre.

I thought I had tried it in PS7, but I obviously hadn’t. I have now, and it works as you said.

Can you confirm that it does not work in PS6, Elements, or Photodeluxe, just in case I have overlooked something?

Thanks again – you have made my day!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections