R
Posted By
robertegraves
May 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have written a book and have hired a disigner to arrange my ideas for the cover in a way that works.

He is working in PhotoShop 7.0 for MAC. I have PhotoShop 5.0 for PC.

He tells me that he can’t save his work in a format that I can bring up in 5.0.

One method of solving this problem is for him to save each layer in jpeg format and let me assemble them. However, that strikes me as convoluted.

Is there a simple solution to this problem?

Many thanks.

Robert E. Graves
The Art of Psychic Dice
Awaken the untapped psychic power within you
to master the material world with your thoughts.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
JJS
May 10, 2004
"Robert E. Graves" wrote in message
I have written a book and have hired a disigner to arrange my ideas for
the
cover in a way that works.

He tells me that he can’t save his work in a format that I can bring up in

One method of solving this problem is for him to save each layer in jpeg
format
and let me assemble them. However, that strikes me as convoluted.

Have him save a copy in any format you can read. Make your changes. Then he will have to replicate your changes and put them in a final, stable, professional format. But he’s a pro and can do that, and you are paying him for that, right? How about using Illustrator instead? Much better.
E
edjh
May 10, 2004
Robert E. Graves wrote:

I have written a book and have hired a disigner to arrange my ideas for the cover in a way that works.

He is incorrect. Photoshop 5 will open files from 7. Features that exist in 7 but not in 5 will not appear "correctly" (Vector shapes and some Blend Modes so forth)But the files should open. Just to make sure he should save .psd files with Maximize Compatibility on.

One method of solving this problem is for him to save each layer in jpeg format and let me assemble them. However, that strikes me as convoluted.

Many thanks.

Robert E. Graves
The Art of Psychic Dice

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
B
bhilton665
May 10, 2004

He tells me that he can’t save his work in a format that I can bring up in

Sure, just upgrade to V7 … you can open the files on either platform.

There were a lot of fundamental changes from 5 to 6 and then again to 7 (color management and handling of text spring to mind) and while he might be able to give you files that will open in 5 it seems nuts to jump through the hoops when an upgrade is so easily available.

Bill
EG
Eric Gill
May 10, 2004
(Robert E. Graves) wrote in
news::

Yes. You need to upgrade to at least version 6. He can backsave to that with little danger of compatibility issues besides typefaces.

Alternately, he can send you non-modifiable proofs and do all the modifications himself.
T
tacitr
May 10, 2004
I have written a book and have hired a disigner to arrange my ideas for the
cover in a way that works.

Step 1: Fire him, and hire a designer who understands that Photoshop is for image editing, but not for actually assembling the cover. The cover should be assembled in a page layout program like QuarkXPress, with the graphics done in Photoshop, logos and other special elements done in Illustrator, and the type done in the page layout program.

Sure he can! TIFF, EPS, you name it.

One method of solving this problem is for him to save each layer in jpeg format
and let me assemble them.

That’s foolish, both because 5.0 can read a 7.0 PSD file (minus vector layers, if any, and minus some layer styles), and because JPEG is a "lossy" format that degrades the quality of the image.

The best solution is to hire a competent designer. Another solution is for you to upgrade to Photoshop 7.

Biohazard? Radiation hazard? SO last-century.
Nanohazard T-shirts now available! http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
R
robertegraves
May 11, 2004
He is incorrect. Photoshop 5 will open files from 7. Features that exist in 7
but not in 5 will not appear "correctly" (Vector shapes and some Blend Modes so forth)But the files should open.

Just to make sure he should save .psd files with Maximize Compatibility on.

Thank you. I will relay this info.

Step 1: Fire him, and hire a designer who understands that Photoshop is for
image editing, but not for actually assembling the cover. The cover should be assembled in a page layout program like QuarkXPress, with the graphics done in Photoshop, logos and other special elements done in Illustrator, and the type done in the page layout program.

Thanks for the advice, but I am the one requesting Photoshop. He wanted Quark. I need to be able to change the copy in the future if and when I secure more cover comments or change the log line.

And I don’t need Quark, since the printer is willing to use whichever format I send him.

Many thanks again.

Robert E. Graves
The Art of Psychic Dice
T
tacitr
May 11, 2004
And I don’t need Quark, since the printer is willing to use whichever format I send him.

It’s not about what the printer will use; it’s about what looks good on press.

You can’t change Photoshop 7 text in Photoshop 5; 5 and 7 handle text differently.

Text set in Photoshop 5 is broken up into pixels. As such, when it is printed on a printing press, it will look fuzzy, not crisp.

Text set in Photoshop 7 is vector–that is, it will print smoothly, because it is not made of pixels. However, it will not "trap"–that means, you will see a gap around the text when you print the cover on a printing press, if the text touches anything of a different color and the registration is not perfect on press (which it never is). The result looks quite unprofessional.

If your goal is to produce a high-quality printed piece, it’s very important to use the right tools. If you can’t afford the right tools (high-end page layout programs are expensive!), then it’s best to hire a designer and have him make those changes.

Biohazard? Radiation hazard? SO last-century.
Nanohazard T-shirts now available! http://www.villaintees.com Art, literature, shareware, polyamory, kink, and more:
http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
R
robertegraves
May 12, 2004
If your goal is to produce a high-quality printed piece, it’s very important
to use the right tools. If you can’t afford the right tools (high-end page layout programs are expensive!), then it’s best to hire a designer and have him make those changes.

Thank you

Robert E. Graves
The Art of Psychic Dice

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections