CR
Posted By
Cole_Routtenberg
Oct 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Alright, so the impending release of CS4 has me desperately wanting to purchase Photoshop CS4.

I’m in grade 10, which means I could get it through the educational discount, for $300 (for extended), which sure beats $1000 regular.

HOWEVER,

If I want my mother to pay for it for me, I can only convince her to do so if I can install it on both my and my sister’s computers. We both have MacBooks.

So my question is, how many licenses are there going to be with it, and will I be able to install and run it on both of our computers?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

SW
Scott_Weichert
Oct 5, 2008
No. The license agreement states you are permitted 2 installs provided they are not used at the same time. Installing the app for both you and your sister would be a breach of the End User license Agreement.

Essentially, 2 installs but only 1 user permitted.
CR
Cole_Routtenberg
Oct 5, 2008
Technically though, the computers are "owned" by my mother, and we’re just using them.

I don’t suppose this is much of a grey area?

* makes mental note to self – "what is this world coming to – were we can’t even share software within our own family"*
R
Ram
Oct 5, 2008
The license is clear: one user, two computers. No ifs and buts.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 5, 2008
However, if Cole and his sister can set-up some sort of agreement so that they are not both using the software at the same time, and if their mother is the owner of the computers, then they are within the terms of the licence.
R
Ram
Oct 5, 2008
That’s not strictly true. 🙂

The EULA is for ONE USER and two computers; not two users, two computers and one computer owner.

However, under "some sort of agreement so that they are not both using the software at the same time", the Adobe mother ship would be none the wiser. 😉
B
Buko
Oct 5, 2008
also 600 for 2 licenses isn’t such a bad deal either.
CR
Cole_Routtenberg
Oct 5, 2008
Although, it’s also technically possible that one person could be on both of their computers at the same time, no?

I suppose I just feel that it’s ridiculous I can’t even share within my own family.

Considering I’m not even illegally downloading this, or borrowing from a friend, but actually buying it, I just feel that this it’s overly insane that I can’t share with my sister.

Anyways, this whole thing throws me of the idea of ever buying from Adobe. I mean, I understand not wanting it on a hundred different computers, or for it to be used outside of one household, but I feel like this is silly.

Sorry for the personal opinions, but I honestly stand by them.

Anyways, I suppose I’ll just be buying the one copy, and I’ll only install it on my computer?

My sister’s at university, and at her friends’ houses more of the time than at home, so sharing with designated times where it’s ok to use it and others where it isn’t is out of the question.

Also, in regard to the owner vs. user, I understand that Adobe can watch your use on a computer, but how can they actually know who’s using the computer. Really, it’s all circumstantial, and depends on how you word or argue it.

So what are the odds, or the likliehood of Adobe following up on two different users using it?

I have no intent to try and install on more than two computers, but I really can’t say that I wouldn’t install it on both if I just bought one copy.

I really wouldn’t like to break the law by downloading a pirated version, but I have no moral issues with sharing the program with my sister – even if it is against their terms.

HOWEVER,

I obviously don’t want Adobe suing me/my mother for trying to share with my sister…

So yeah, what’s the risk involved?

Or is this type of discussion against forum rules?

* has seen far too many stuck-up rules on various forums these days*
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 5, 2008
We are only fellow users like you so no-one here has any ability to change the terms of the EULA — which is what you agree to honour when you install Adobe software.

You can check the terms of that agreement for yourself here:

< http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/pdfs/Gen_WWCombined-CS3- 20060817_1651.pdf>
R
Ram
Oct 5, 2008
Although, it’s also technically possible that one person could be on both of their computers at the same time, no?

That is NOT permitted by the EULA. The Adobe mothership would know instantly and would only let you activate ONE of the two copies.

The purpose of the two-computer provision of the EULA (End User License Agreement) is to lot a user install one on a desktop computer and one on a laptop for work in the field. They cannot be used simultaneously, period.
R
Ram
Oct 5, 2008
So what are the odds, or the likliehood of Adobe following up on two different users using it?

As stated above, the activation on one of the two copies would fail, sooner rather than later, if you tried to use them simultaneously. That’s why activation was implemented in the first place.
CR
Cole_Routtenberg
Oct 5, 2008
Alright, clearly this is just headed in the direction of an aimless argument, so is there a way to close or lock a topic here?
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Oct 5, 2008
When no further posts are added, the threads just drop further down the page.
NT
Nini Tj
Oct 5, 2008
One application.
Two simultaneous activations.
One single user using it at the time.
But you can install on as many machines as you like as long as it isn’t activated on more than two at the time – activation will fail if you try it.
There is also an upper limit to how many times you can de-activate and activate the same licensed application so at some point it will then stop functioning.
JJ
John Joslin
Oct 5, 2008
Do you people really think that the EULA is written for this scenario?

It’s supposed to prevent piracy fer gawd’s sake, not to stop young people getting into Photoshop and becoming lifelong customers!
B
Buko
Oct 5, 2008
I run 2 copies of Adobe software constantly and have never been deactivated for doing so. I run my apps 24/7 on both my Laptop and desktop because I am lazy and don’t want to wait for the apps to start up.
In the past you could not use a second install of Photoshop if it detected the same serial on the same network. This is no longer true you now have 2 activations that can be run simultaneously.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Oct 5, 2008
What Buko said. I routinely have laptop/desktop CS3 open on the same network, no problem. However if I do the same with Aperture I get an error message when the second app version tries to open.
AW
Allen_Wicks
Oct 5, 2008
Correction of Post #16: I just remembered the CS3 installs are actually two different licenses.
L
Lundberg02
Oct 6, 2008
I don’t know about Adobe, but Microsoft hits you with a laser beam from Redmond if you have two Offices open. Burns out your retinas.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections