IB
Posted By
Ina_Bechhoefer
Jul 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have both CS3 and Lightroom 1.1. I am expecting a new laptop within the next 2 weeks. It will take me some days to configure the new machine and I am not sure that the configuration will be complete before I must take an extended trip. My question is: must I uninstall CS3 and Lightroom from the old laptop before installing it on the new laptop, or can I keep both running until I am sure that the new computer is working 100%. (I will be using Vista and expect some qwirks, as I try to load older applications.)

Please advise.
Thanks,
Ina

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jul 25, 2007
Ina,

You can run Ps on two computers. Once the old laptop is dismissed don’t forget to deactivate Photoshop on that one.

Rob
RS
Robert_Solaini
Jul 26, 2007
Ina,

I have a question for you. As you use both CS3 and Lightroom, would you recommend me buying Lightroom as I already have CS3? I only use CS3 to make corrections to digital photographs (.jpg, RAW and .Tif). Does lightroom offer significant advantages over CS3 with these files formats, or is CS3 good enough alone. Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Rob
C
chrisjbirchall
Jul 26, 2007
Why not download the free trial? You’ll have 30 days to see how well the two packages work together.
B
bruxist
Jul 26, 2007
Also take a look at the following Podcast by Terry White over on www.creativesuitepodcast.com: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 1.1 Workflow < http://www.creativesuitepodcast.com/index.php?post_id=233204>
RS
Robert_Solaini
Jul 26, 2007
Thanks Guys.
Very helpful 🙂
IB
Ina_Bechhoefer
Jul 26, 2007
I really like using both Lightroom 1.1 and CS3 programs toghether.

I like the Lightroom interface better than the CR interface. I find CR interface annoying because you must cycle in and out of Camera Raw to Bridge. Going from Library to Develop in Lightroom is seamless. I also find the History invaluable as you can go back and forth in the various History states. You can make Snapshots and Virtual Copies in Lightroom, so you can preserve several states and conceptualizations. History does not disappea until you want it to. Using presets is also seamless and you can preview the effects in the Navigator in a second. You can adjust individual tones using a new TAP features in Lightroom 1.1. It refines the tweaking of colors and tones by allowing you to make adjustments right on the photo or on the curve.

Other than these differences, the feature set in Camera Raw is the same as in Lightroom. There are those who like the Bridge browsing better than Lightroom’s. Lightroom is not perfect. I find it annoying to have to remember to import files into Lightroom, whereas they are always available in Bridge. It is also somewhat awkward to have to export photos in Photoshop, although there is a direct link. If you want to do HDR merge and/or merging panoramas, it is easier to do these directly from Bridge. These are the only two areas where I use Bridge rather than Lightroom. Changes in Lightroom are either automatically or manually reflected in Camera Raw, depending upon your preference settings. All changes in Camera Raw are reflected in Lightroom. Thus it is easy to go back and forth between the programs.

Having said all this, I use Photoshop for the refinements: Noise reduction w/ Noise Ninja; refined curves work; sharpening; layer masking; and on and on. If I had to choose only one, it would be Photoshop (no question). You can do everything in Photoshop. Camera RAW adds ease of use and is available in CS2. BUT…If you can afford Lightroom alongside CS3, it is clearly icing on the cake. A powerful combo w/ CS3.

Hope this helps.

Ina

wrote in message
Ina,

I have a question for you. As you use both CS3 and Lightroom, would you recommend me buying Lightroom as I already have CS3? I only use CS3 to make corrections to digital photographs (.jpg, RAW and .Tif). Does lightroom offer significant advantages over CS3 with these files formats, or is CS3 good enough alone. Your advice is appreciated.
Thanks
Rob
IB
Ina_Bechhoefer
Jul 26, 2007
Thanks for the info. Now, if only my new Thinkpad T61P would ship in time for my trip <g….

Ina

wrote in message
Ina,

You can run Ps on two computers. Once the old laptop is dismissed don’t forget to deactivate Photoshop on that one.

Rob
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 26, 2007
Ina,

PLEASE turn off the autoquote in your newsreader. Most people view these forums on the web and you’re autoquotes tend to clog up the limited screen real estate.

Thanks,

Bob
IB
Ina_Bechhoefer
Jul 26, 2007
Noted. I assume partial quotes, as below to estalish the context are acceptable.
Ina

PLEASE turn off the autoquote in your newsreader. Most people view these forums on the web and you’re autoquotes tend to clog up the limited screen real estate.
BL
Bob Levine
Jul 26, 2007
Absolutely…and in many cases encouraged.

Bob
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jul 27, 2007
The two significant differences between Camera Raw and Lightroom, in terms of capabilities, are that Camera Raw allows you to create point curves of your choosing, while Lightroom allows only preset point curves, and Camera Raw displays RGB values in 0-255 units, while Lightroom displays them as percentages.
SD
Steve Dell
Jul 28, 2007
you can run PS CS3 on up to two machines.

Once you are ready to uninstall it from the old machine, you MUST deactivate first. Simply uninstalling doesn’t deactivate it. (This is different than the way CS2 did things.)

wrote in message
I have both CS3 and Lightroom 1.1. I am expecting a new laptop within the next 2 weeks. It will take me some days to configure the new machine and I am not sure that the configuration will be complete before I must take an extended trip. My question is: must I uninstall CS3 and Lightroom from the old laptop before installing it on the new laptop, or can I keep both running until I am sure that the new computer is working 100%. (I will be using Vista and expect some qwirks, as I try to load older applications.)
Please advise.
Thanks,
Ina

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections