PE 2.0 re-install on fresh system rejects serial number?

SB
Posted By
S_Bosko
Jun 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I had to wipe my laptop, and reinstall the OS (XP Home) using the Recovery discs.

When I try to re-install PE 2.0, I get a "this serial number is not valid" message.

Now, I’ve got the little "KEEP THIS CARD!" card in front of me, and I’ve double and triple checked to make sure I typed it in correctly (I did).

Any ideas?

– XP Home, with all critical Windows Updates re-applied
– Administrator mode
– All anti-virus turned off
– PE 2.0 had been happily installed on this laptop before. – LAN, ISP, or disconnected mode.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Jun 1, 2004
Just keep typing the number in repeatedly. This has happened to several of us, and most of the time it finally "takes" after the third or fourth try.
SB
S_Bosko
Jun 1, 2004
(Mind is boggled … Sorry, if there was a topic on this I guess I didn’t go back far enough.)

Anyhow, I’ve clicked OK, gone back, re-typed over the numbers 6 times now, and … still no good.

Do I need to delete the install log in between attempts or something?
M
MarkATS
Jun 1, 2004
If you have registered the product, call Adobe Customer Service and they can help you out. Also, make sure you are entering 24 numbers, without the dashes.
SB
S_Bosko
Jun 1, 2004
Yes, it’s registered … OK, I’ll call them, thanks.

(and yes, I was entering all 24 numbers, 6 sets of 4, no dashes)
RR
Raymond Robillard
Jun 1, 2004
This will sound stupid, I know… Use a magnifying glass… Some numbers are confusing (0 for 8, 5 for 6, etc.) Try every permutation. Else, if you’ve already registered it, go onto the Adobe Website, log in, and you’ll recover the working serial number you had.

Ray
SB
S_Bosko
Jun 1, 2004
yeah, I know some of the numbers are small & confusing on the stickers, but this is a "just smaller than index card sized" card with very clear numbers… (hm, doesn’t anyone else have one like this?)

I think that phone call or website visit is next, thanks to everyone who responded.
MR
mikael_runsten
Jun 2, 2004
Check for: PSElements.sif file in "c:/Program/Adobe/Photoshop Elements [version]/Required ", and delete the file if present, and try to install again.

Also check this key in registry:

Hkey_Local_Machine/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion /Uninstall/Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0, SERIAL=xxxxxxxxxxx
Here you can find your serial, (if the key is still there after uninstall).

If the key is present, delete the key, and try to install again.

Good luck,
Micke

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections