JH
Posted By
Janet_Horton
Nov 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just bought a new computer and need to transfer Photoshop from my old computer running Windows 2000 to my new. I bought the full version of Photoshop 5.5 and an upgrade to Photoshop 6.0. When I insert the Photoshop 5.5 CD in my new computer, the install program starts just fine. But when I click on "Installation", the hourglass momentarily shows, but then goes away and the installation does not actually start. No error message is displayed. The installation just does not run. What do I need to do to install Photoshop on my new PC? Is PS 5.5 incompatible with Windows XP? Do I just need to de-install it first on my old PC, and will that somehow reset the product key to be valid on the new PC? Thanks in advance for anyone’s help on this frustrating problem. I want to install my new PS CS upgrade as well, but assume I have to start with the full 5.5 installation first.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RL
Robert_Levine
Nov 24, 2003
You don’t need to install earlier versions to install CS. Just go through the CS install and you will be asked at one point to insert an earlier version to verify your eligibility for upgrading.

Bob
JH
Janet_Horton
Nov 24, 2003
Thanks so much! I’ll give it a try!
BF
bev_f_miller
Dec 25, 2003
I don’t have CS- what about help on just installing 5.5 on Windows XP? any help appreciated! i depend on photoshop just bought new computer with windows xp. need to install photoshop 5.5, illustrator 8.0,and pagemakeer 6.5. THANK YOU!
MM
Mick_Murphy
Dec 25, 2003
I don’t know if this will help but one thing to try if you are having trouble installing from a CD is copying the installation files on to your hard drive and having a go from there.
M
MCGARR
Dec 26, 2003
I just installed Photoshop CS. As I was installing CS the screen prompted me to either let the CD search for an earlier version of Photoshop on my computer. Or I could put in any Photshop disk from 4.0 and up into the same drive that my CS disk was in. You had 2 choices to check. One or the other. After it detected the earlier version it then prompted me to put my CS disk back in. This was with the CS upgrade.
BF
bev_f_miller
Dec 26, 2003
installing onto hardrive doesn’t work either. any other suggestions? how frustrating! i am dependent on photoshop for my art work – need to use on new computer–there must be a way!
thanks to any who have any suggestions or help.
MM
Mick_Murphy
Dec 26, 2003
I’m afraid I can’t help as I’ve not come across this but hopefully somebody more knowledgeable might be able to help you out. Not much activity here on Christmas Day I’m afraid.

There is something in the FAQ about problems installing 5.5 on Win 2000 but I don’t know if this applies to XP as well. There is no solution suggested in any case so that doesn’t really help either way. General things to check I guess are that you are installing from an administrator account and you are not running anti-virus software etc. Perhaps try installing in Safe Mode. Best wishes until some better help comes along.
GZ
Gary_z_Harper
Jan 18, 2004
I am having the same problem as Bev Miller. I am hoping she has discovered the sekrit of the inner lair for getting 5.5 to load on her XP machine. Same symptoms here….the disappearing hourglass….tick tock.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections