Leaping from PS& to CS3… how do I transfer actions?

PM
Posted By
Patricia_Mulvihill
Sep 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All- I just upgraded to Leopard and am now making the leap from PS7 to CS3. I can’t seem to figure out how to transfer my custom actions though. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Sep 20, 2008
Save them in Photoshop 7.0.1 through the Actions palette to the location of your choice. Then Load them through the Actions Palette in CS3 into Photoshop 10.0.1.
PM
Patricia_Mulvihill
Sep 20, 2008
There’s the rub… I can’t even open Photoshop 7 now that I’m using Leopard. Had I known sooner! I still have PS7 running on a laptop at my family’s house, but I won’t be there for another week and need to get back to work ASAP.

Thanks for the help though – looks like I’ll just have to spend the time to recreate those actions. Bleh.
PR
Paul_R
Sep 20, 2008
In theory you should be able to copy "Actions Pallette.psp" from your old preferences folder to the new one.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Sep 20, 2008
You don’t need to open Photoshop 7 at all if you have already Saved the Actions (possibly in your PS7 Presets/Photshp Actions/ folder?)

Just go there, or to wherever you saved them, and drag all of your .atn files into the Presets folder of CS3.

You might want to color-code them so that you know which were old Actions for trouble-shooting purposes.
R
Ram
Sep 21, 2008
In theory you should be able to copy "Actions Pallette.psp" from your old preferences folder to the new one

This will nuke all the new actions in CS3 and leave you with just the old ones from Ps 7. Bad move.

As a rule, it is NEVER a smart idea to copy ANY preference file from an old version to a newer one, but it is even less prudent when you’re talking about different versions running under different, incompatible versions of the OS. This is just asking for trouble.

(Additionally, Paul R misspelled Palette in that file name.)
B
Buko
Sep 22, 2008
Pallets are now renamed Panels
JJ
John Joslin
Sep 22, 2008
Except in Photoshop!
R
Ram
Sep 22, 2008
Maybe for 24 hours, JJ. CS4 will be announced tomorrow.
PM
Patricia_Mulvihill
Sep 22, 2008
Okay some conflicting advice but I appreciate all of it. I’m about halfway through recreating the actions… it’s a drag but necessary.
CS4???? It figures! 😀

Thanks everyone.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections