How do I transfer action and scripts from CS to my CS2 upgrade?

NH
Posted By
Nathan Holritz
May 29, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
The subject line says it all! What’s the easiest way to go about this process??

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
May 29, 2005
Open up your Photoshop Help Files.

Look for info on "Preset Manager."

Follow the directions.

Basically, you save out sets of the custom items you want to keep. Best place to keep them is in the proper folder in the Presets folderr inside the Photoshop folder.

When you upgrade to a new version, the installer will place all of the Photoshop-default brushes, gradients, shapes, etc, right where they’re supposed to be. All you then need to do is move those sets you saved earlier into the proper folder in the new installation. Then, you again use the Presets MAnager in the new install to load them into your palettes.
Y
YrbkMgr
May 30, 2005
Best place to keep them is in the proper folder in the Presets folderr inside the Photoshop folder.

For whatever it may be worth, I find that the best place to keep them is in a dedicated folder, preferably on a separate drive – if you ever have a crash or want find them in a hurry, you’ll know exactly where to look for the backups.

Once your individual action sets are loaded into photoshop, Photoshop will use the Actions Palette.psp preferences file to load actions – so it doesn’t really matter where you store the originals once they’re loaded.

Just a thought.
P
Phosphor
May 30, 2005
Backups go without saying, Tony.

But for everyday use, loading and unloading, and saving, I just keep them where Photoshop’s installer puts them by default.
RG
Rags Gardner
May 30, 2005
The scripts go into the “xx/Presets/Scripts” folder. The actions go into the “xx/Presets/Photoshop Actions” folder. Actions must be saved as xx.atn files first then loaded again from the actions pallet. Don’t forget this if you’ve made any changes.

Then the fun begins. Actions that call scripts need to be re-recorded. This is because the action saved the full path to the script, which has now changed.

Warning, action scripts that worked from the File Browser no longer work from the Bridge. There have been reports that some actions no longer work or behave differently. Also some reports of scripts that no longer work right. Scripts re-sizing images based on inches now have to be based on pixels. The character for adding a copyright symbol has changed. I had to re-work almost all of my automation tasks. Good luck. . .

Cheers, Rags 🙂
Y
YrbkMgr
May 31, 2005
Point is, ATN files do not need to be in any specific folder whatsoever.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections