How do I Auto-SaveJPEGs in a Batch/Action Command ?

PS
Posted By
Paul_Schatzkin
Dec 16, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I need to change the resolution of about 200 jpg files from 250-650 dpi to make them all exactly 200 dpi. I want to run a batch process from Bridge to run an action from CS2. I’m stuck on the "save" function.

I can use the batch command to open the files; I’ve created an action in which the first step is "image size = 200 dpi." The next step would be to save the file (same name, same folder) and then close it.

But each time the "save" command is executed, Photoshop wants me to tell it what quality to save the jpeg at.

When I created the action, I typed in "12," clicked OK, then closed the file.

Now, when I run the batch, the resolution is resized, but the action still stops and I have to hit "return" for each "OK" and then the file closes and goes to the next one, and I have to hit "OK" again.

What do I do to get the action to execute that part of the command without me sitting here through the whole routine and hitting "return" 200 times?

Thanks,

–PS

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

SF
Scott_Falkner
Dec 16, 2006
First, I suggest you save as TIFF, rather than JPEG. Every time you save a JPEG file you permanently destroy information, making the image worse.

Anyhoo…

Start with a file type that is not what you intend to finally save as. If saving as a TIFF, then start with a jPEG or PSD, for example. In the Save As dialogue, change ONLY the file type, and set whtever other options (LZW compression, JPEG quality, etc) afterwards that you want.

Stop recording.

When you run the Btch Action, specify source and destination folders through the two bizarrely different interfaces, both of which suck. Be sure to click on the badly named option, ‘Override Action "Save AS" Commands". This tells Photoshop to save the file where you specify in the Batch dialogue, ignoring the location used when the action was recorded.
PS
Paul_Schatzkin
Dec 16, 2006
Next question: am I dreaming, thinking that I can change the dpi of an image and not change the size of the image itself.

I start with an image that’s 3546×2418 @ 600 dpi, but when I resest the dpi to 200, I wind up with an image that’s 1809×1200, which may not be large enough for the printer I’m using.

Seems to me this was all covered in a photoshop class I took earlier this year… I may have to dig out the text…

–PS
L
LenHewitt
Dec 16, 2006
You need to change the resolution without resample image checked.
PS
Paul_Schatzkin
Dec 16, 2006
Thank you, Scott and Len; from these two posts, I now have a directory with 221 full-sized .jpgs at 200 dpi rendered from tiffs of the originals. On to the next challenge.

–PS
C
chrisjbirchall
Dec 16, 2006
Paul. By using the term Dpi when you really mean Ppi you will eventually run into problems.

dpi refers to the number of dots per inch a printer lays down on paper.

ppi refers to the number of pixels per inch in image file contains.

They are
b not
the same thing.
PS
Paul_Schatzkin
Dec 16, 2006
I wondered about that when I saw the "image size" window said "pixels." But after I set "ppi" to 200 and then batched the files, when I look at the file specs in Bridge, it says " 200 dpi."

So, where/how do I make sure I’m getting the effect I want, i.e. full-sized files at 200 dpi for printing purposes.

–PS
B
Bernie
Dec 16, 2006
So, where/how do I make sure

The PS image size dialog box

full-sized files at 200 dpi for printing purposes.

It’s 200 pppi for printing purposes.

Many people use both dpi and ppi interchangeably even though they shouldn’t. Some of us (myself included) try to encourage the proper terminology (and yes, I’ve been known to say dpi when I meant ppi, habit)
Y
YrbkMgr
Dec 17, 2006
Many people use both dpi and ppi interchangeably even though they shouldn’t.

Exactamundo. DPI is a printer rating, and has nothing to do with images.
PS
Paul_Schatzkin
Dec 17, 2006
yes, but when you are preparing an image for a printer, you have to set the dpi according to the printer’s requirements. So… where do you specify "dpi" instead of "PPI" ?

I’m only familiar with the "Image/Size" window, is there another I need to familiarize myself with?

–PS
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 17, 2006
When Tony mentioned printers he meant desktop printers, not a person who happens to own a print shop.

PPI is the measure of graphic resolution. If the printer is asking for 300 DPI, he really means PPI.

Bob
PS
Paul_Schatzkin
Dec 17, 2006
In my case, the whole issue came up because of the requirements laid out by a commercial printer (MyPublisher.com — wants files @ 180-200dpi).

But now Robert seems to be saying that PPI = DPI (at least where desktop printers are concerned?) where the previous contributors seemed to be saying just the opposite.

Can’t imagine why I’m confused …. <g>

–PS
BL
Bob Levine
Dec 17, 2006
Again, they’re using the wrong term. They should be saying PPI.

Bob

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections