How to write an action using variables in PS 6.0?

MM
Posted By
Matt_McInvale
Dec 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to write some actions for Photoshop 6.0. I believe I need a way to use variables for image movement (I will be using multiple sized images). Is there anyway to do this within Photoshop 6.0? Am I looking at this problem the wrong way?

Here is what I want to do:
1. Resize images to a set max dimensions
2. "Stamp" images with company logo in upper left corner
3. Save Image & Generate a Thumbnail

I am having trouble with #2, I cant get the logo into the upper left corner when the image changes from 500×375 to 375×500. I am stuck. Please help.

Matt

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
LenHewitt
Dec 24, 2003
Suggest you post in the Scripting sub-forum, Matt
T
terrencelee
Dec 24, 2003
from what it sounds like, youre trying to batch different orientated files. The way batching (using actions) is designed to work is so that the same thing is done to every file. This requires that every file be the same size and orientation or the results will come out altered. What ive done in the past (when ive worked with documents of different orientations) is seperate portraits in one folder and landscapes in another folder and then just batch the folders seperately. Its an extra step but it doesnt take long to do unless your dealing with hundreds of files in which case i would suggest using something like acrobat to sort them out first.

The other option is to use a conditional command in image ready. Even then youl need to make two actions as an extra step but it will be a lot faster than sorting them 1 by 1.

Hope that helps!
Terrence Lee
MM
Matt_McInvale
Dec 24, 2003
Yes, that is exactly what I am doing. I never thought of using Imageready for batching. I will check it out, Thanks.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections