Hey!

Here I am again …. with yet another query for all
the bright minds here. I have downloaded lots of
new Actions and I’d like to know how to install them
in Photoshop Elements.

Help! Thanks muchly.

Arla Fontaine

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 22, 2004
Do you have one of the addons that wil allow you to use them? If so, tell us which one so people can give better instructions.
IH
Ingrid_Halvorsen
Apr 22, 2004
Bare bones Photoshop Elements does not allow Actions, but there are some aftermarket additions that enable Actions to be used. Sort of. Well, some of the time. I frankly was not able to get it to work.
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 22, 2004
A week ago, I posted detailed instructions on how to do this, without third party tools. I can’t remember the thread title though.

Just for the record, Photoshop Elements supports actions. They are just not like in Photoshop. In fact, commands found under the Effects (Frames, Imaages, etc) are actions (*.atn files). They will only function if they use commands found in Photoshop Elements.

If you run a search for fire action (Malcom posted a question about adding a fire action he found on the net into Photoshop), and match a thread with my name, the explanations will be there.

Also, some actions written for Photoshop contains more than one action. These, I’m not sure they’ll work. What I did for Malcom was to separate the action he wanted into 3 different actions (fire, fire 2 and fire 3), then showed him how to integrate them into Photoshop Elements. Now, they’re in the Effects menu, under Image.

On that post was missing one instruction, to empty the Effects cache folder. If you choose this method, I will be able to help you.

Ray
AF
Arla_Fontaine
Apr 22, 2004
Thanks Everyone …

For your suggestions and comments. I appreciate it!

Ray, I found your explanation and am printing it as
I type this message! Thank you so much!

Now I shall cross all digits and hope my new actions
work properly!

BTW, this board so rox! Thanks again.

Arla
AF
Arla_Fontaine
Apr 22, 2004
Uh-oh! She’s back again …..

Well, Ray, my dear man … I followed your instructions, but … but (uh-oh …) when I clicked on the PSD files, all I got were the original boat photos. I right clicked and selected "open with" and got the gobbildy gook stuff, program language, I’m guessing.

I have Windows XP and that probably explains all the
stinkin’ problems! But what oh what to do next?

Also what do you mean by "Add a new layer"? I’m not at all clear on that.

So, dear people, please forgive me for being such a
dunce, but what can I learn if I don’t ask questions?
Huh?

Thanks again.

Arla
CR
Chris_Rankin
Apr 22, 2004
Arla,
To add a new layer go up to Layer in the drop down menus, then select New. You’ll now have 4 choices to create a new layer, slect the one that just says Layer, you’ll get a dialog box, click OK and you’ll have a new layer.

CR
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 22, 2004
Thanks Chris!

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections