CA
Posted By
Charles_Aaron
Aug 25, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Brand new Acer Aspire Notebook with Windows Vista Home Premium. Tons of space and RAM. Is Photoshop 5.0 too old or incompatible, because it won’t install, saying QuickTime won’t work? Our beloved Photoshop 5.0 is on our old desktop, so wanted to also install its CD on the Notebook. Any help will be appreciated.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BL
Bob Levine
Aug 25, 2007
Try running the installer using compatibility mode set to XP but I wouldn’t bet on it working and you’ve missed the upgrade boat. Only PS
7.0 and later is eligible for upgrade pricing.

Bob
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Aug 25, 2007
Given the expensive US$649 price for the full Photoshop CS3 (well, full except that it lacks full ImageReady features), if you do consider moving to PS CS3 then you’d do well to scour for anyone that still sells upgrade copies of earlier versions. Sometimes you can find a store that’s going out of business, online dealers that have leftover stock, etc., and purchase an upgrade to PS7, CS, or CS2 for which PS5.0 is a qualifying product for the upgrade. Then, with PS7 or newer in hand, you’re qualified for the CS3 upgrade. Even if you paid full price for an upgrade to an older version, you’d still come out ahead over full price for the full new CS3 title. Just be sure that whatever you buy is a legal, retail version with full packaging and never activated (CS or CS2).

Regards,

Daryl
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 25, 2007
No can do, Daryl. Each upgrade replaces the license of the version before it. So anyone who’s done each upgrade only has a license for CS3. The prior licenses become null and void.

The only stipulation for earlier version is that the license holder is permitted to continue using the earlier version during an unspecified transition period, but transferring the software is not legal and would never be approved by Adobe.

Bob
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Aug 25, 2007
Bob,

I can see where Adobe might not like this approach since they don’t get to charge someone full price for a product, yet I really don’t see anything unethical or illegal in selling an upgrade that one doesn’t really need, to another person who is qualified for that upgrade. Of course, how the seller would validate the buyer’s qualifcations might be questioned, since the upgrade process doesn’t really require proof of ownership of a full original license.

I guess another way of looking at it, is that the full original license is, in essence, what is transferred. An upgrade, at least as I see it, is an extension of that full original license. So, as long as both parties hold a full original license, then selling an upgrade for one version while retaining another seems a win-win situation. If I’m wrong about that, and I’m not reading the EULA at the moment, then so be it. Just trying to help. 🙂

Daryl
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 25, 2007
grey area. i’m with daryl on the interpretation.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Aug 25, 2007
I just looked at the EULA, and while Section 4.4, No Transfer sounds a bit "iffy", Section 5, Updates seems to permit what I’m suggesting. I think again the real problem is just that the installation media for an upgrade can be used for a subequent upgrade without any required proof of having a full license.

5. Updates.If the Software is an upgrade or update to a previous version of Adobe software, you must possess a valid license to such previous version in order to use such upgrade or update….
BL
Bob Levine
Aug 25, 2007
I’ll see what I can find out from an official Adobe source. I’ll let you know if/when I hear anything.

Bob
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Aug 25, 2007
Bob, thanks….and no disrespect intened toward anyone, nor am I advocating anything illegal, but I dare say that such an approach as this would be very difficult to accuse anyone of wrongdoing, again so long as both affected parties remain holders of legitmate full-version licenses. Using myself as an example of one who has upgraded from PS3 to PSCS3 skipping only 5.5 and not that that I had intended to offer my upgrades for sell, the only thing I see as possibly requiring action on my part would be to process some sort of registration transfer, for my PS7 or PS CS registered upgrade. I’d not sell my CS2 upgrade since it is still in use. Had I not registered those upgrades, I’d sell either with no fear of it being illegal.

Daryl

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections