How to do merge to new layer reliably in an action?

J
Posted By
jfriend00
Oct 23, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
As part of an action, I would like to create a new top layer with the currently visible content merged into that new layer. I’d like this action to work whether the current image has only a background layer or multiple layers. I have an action to do this today using the Ctrl-Alt-Shift-E keyboard shortcut. That works fine if the image I’m starting with already has multiple layers. But, it doesn’t work if the image I’m starting with only has one layer initially (I get some sort of error).

How would I make a new layer on top with all merged contents in it (while preserving all previous layers) in an action that would work on all images regardless of how many layers the image started out with.

–John

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MV
Mathias_Vejerslev
Oct 23, 2005
Try recording: Create New Layer (empty), then Ctrl-Alt-Shift-e. You can use the Alt-key with Create New Layer icon to even name your new layer.
J
jfriend00
Oct 23, 2005
Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections