how to prevent Photoshop from making new layer each time I draw something?

ML
Posted By
Mike Levin
Nov 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All. I’m still using Photoshop 3.0 because Photoshops after version 4 add a new layer every time I put something new onto the image. Eventually I have dozens of layers and it’s impossible to find the one I want, to make changes in some piece of the document. I far prefer the old behavior, where you can add layers when needed, but by default everything stays in the current layer. I know I can collapse the layers manually every so often, but it’s a pain! Does anyone know if it’s possible to change this default behavior on the new Photoshop versions? Is it possible to make Photoshop nt create a new layer each time? Please cc: any replies to Thanks!

Mike

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
belowme
Nov 9, 2003
when your done just go to layers and flatten image
"Mike Levin" wrote in message
Hi All. I’m still using Photoshop 3.0 because Photoshops after version 4
add
a new layer every time I put something new onto the image. Eventually I
have
dozens of layers and it’s impossible to find the one I want, to make
changes
in some piece of the document. I far prefer the old behavior, where you
can
add layers when needed, but by default everything stays in the current layer. I know I can collapse the layers manually every so often, but it’s
a
pain! Does anyone know if it’s possible to change this default behavior on the new Photoshop versions? Is it possible to make Photoshop nt create a
new
layer each time? Please cc: any replies to Thanks!

Mike
B
belowme
Nov 9, 2003
Yea I dread having to click the layers drop down and click on flatten image, somedays I can’t even click on the photoshop icon on the desktop. "Mike Levin" wrote in message
add
have
changes
can
add layers when needed, but by default everything stays in the current layer. I know I can collapse the layers manually every so often, but it’s
a
pain! Does anyone know if it’s possible to change this default behavior on the new Photoshop versions? Is it possible to make Photoshop nt create a
new

Mike
E
EH
Nov 9, 2003
Mike Levin wrote:
Hi All. I’m still using Photoshop 3.0 because Photoshops after version 4 add a new layer every time I put something new onto the image. Eventually I have dozens of layers and it’s impossible to find the one I want, to make changes in some piece of the document.

I don’t understand why it is impossible, if you keep the layers palette open, you can see all the layers and what is on them.

I far prefer the old behavior, where you can add layers when needed, but
by
default everything stays in the current layer. I know I can collapse the layers manually every so often, but it’s a pain! Does anyone know if it’s possible to change this default behavior on the new Photoshop versions? Is it possible to make Photoshop nt create a new layer each time? Please cc: any replies to Thanks!

Mike
E
edjh
Nov 9, 2003
Mike Levin wrote:
Hi All. I’m still using Photoshop 3.0 because Photoshops after version 4 add a new layer every time I put something new onto the image. Eventually I have dozens of layers and it’s impossible to find the one I want, to make changes in some piece of the document. I far prefer the old behavior, where you can add layers when needed, but by default everything stays in the current layer. I know I can collapse the layers manually every so often, but it’s a pain! Does anyone know if it’s possible to change this default behavior on the new Photoshop versions? Is it possible to make Photoshop nt create a new layer each time? Please cc: any replies to Thanks!

Mike
No, and I suggest you get used to and work with this very useful feature. You are missing a lot by being stuck in the past with 3.

It’s not impossible to find the right layer; it’s easy. Right-click on the object and you will get a context menu with the most likely layer on top and it will bring you to that layer (Control-Command on Mac).

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
J
jrzyguy
Nov 9, 2003
oooorrrrr….you could always NAME your layers appropriately. Its just a right click away. And then you can also group your layers into folders etc…very efficiant i think

jj

"edjh" wrote in message
Mike Levin wrote:
add
have
changes
can
add layers when needed, but by default everything stays in the current layer. I know I can collapse the layers manually every so often, but
it’s a
pain! Does anyone know if it’s possible to change this default behavior
on
the new Photoshop versions? Is it possible to make Photoshop nt create a
new

Mike
No, and I suggest you get used to and work with this very useful feature. You are missing a lot by being stuck in the past with 3.
It’s not impossible to find the right layer; it’s easy. Right-click on the object and you will get a context menu with the most likely layer on top and it will bring you to that layer (Control-Command on Mac).

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
HB
henri.baeyens
Nov 10, 2003
you can also check the auto select layer checkbox in the info panel (selection tool); point, click and there it is, the layer’s selected!

"edjh" a

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections