How do you paste a layer in the exact position it was copied from? in a new project?

WP
Posted By
www.pjfidler.com
Apr 12, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do you paste a layer in the exact position it was copied from? in a new project? basically If I copy something from a project and open a new project the same exact size and paste it to the new project, I want it to be n the same position it was copied from, not the middle how can I do this?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

L
LRK
Apr 12, 2004
The best way to do this is to use the flyout menu on your layer palette. Duplicate layer and choose the other document to duplicate it to. As long as the documents are both the same size, it should end up in the same place. Does that make sense?
JS
John_Slate
Apr 12, 2004
….or shift-drag the layer, using the move tool, to the other same-size document window.
L
LRK
Apr 12, 2004
But if you shift-drag and the layer has any transparent areas, it will center the filled part of the image.
150mph
Apr 12, 2004
LRK’s duplicate layer command is a great method.

I used to add a little fill color to the top left and bottom right corners, then "select all" and "copy" to get the art in the exact positioning, which still works – you just have to get rid of the corners fill after pasting.
L
LRK
Apr 12, 2004
150mph: Who are you? You have a nice portfolio.
G
graffiti
Apr 12, 2004
This <http://www.larrynow.com/LSDesign/_backstagepass.html> is who he is Linda. 🙂

I agree. Impressive portfolio.
L
LRK
Apr 12, 2004
Thanks Graff. I guess I wondered if Larry is someone who has been around for a while and now goes by a different screen name. Seemed like a regular with a new face.
JS
John_Slate
Apr 13, 2004
But if you shift-drag and the layer has any transparent areas, it will center the filled part of the image.

Not for me… If the layer is mostly transparent with just a little bit of color way off center, I get the same position with shift drag. What could be different? Ceratainly not version?
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 13, 2004
It would appear that this is fixed in PS CS. John you are correct the version would make the difference.
JS
John_Slate
Apr 13, 2004
Well even if you CAN shift-drag, I think Linda’s solution is more elegant.
150mph
Apr 13, 2004
A late but genuine thanks LRK and Graffiti. I’ve been lurking here for years – but maybe not as 150mph. =0)
L
LRK
Apr 14, 2004
You’re welcome — 150mph mystery person. Sometimes people just seem familiar, even if they do have a new identity. 🙂

Hi John. I actually didn’t know they fixed the problem with transparent pixels. That’s exciting… I remember harping on that one through two or three upgrades… I got accustomed to using either Command-J within the same doc or Dublicate to another document if using a different document. I’m excited that it now works right! Yea!!!
WZ
Wade_Zimmerman
Apr 14, 2004
See if you bring the issue to the attention of the engineers they eventually see where a reasonable request is worth fixing. As Linda was the champion of this cause we all her thanks for getting this fixed. Actually they didn’t even believe her at first then Ann confirmed it as well.
JS
John_Slate
Apr 14, 2004
Not to beat a dead horse, I tried shift-drag out at work in v7.0 and noticed the centering. However, I also noticed that if you shift-drag from the layers palette instead of the document window, the layer comes positioned correctly in the other doc. Go figure.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections