Posted By
Vinnie_Murdico
May 24, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I installed Elements 3.0, and now when I use the Windows Explorer right-click menu Preview option, it loads Elements. The same happens for the Print option.

I want to go back to the Windows print and preview functions from Explorer. Does anyone have any ideas how to do this?

Thanks,
Vinnie

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

JF
Jodi_Frye
May 24, 2005
yes it’s in the FAQ

Jim Jütte, "After installing Adobe Elements 3 all my images now have Photoshop Icons" #, 31 Mar 2005 2:11 pm </cgi-bin/webx?50>
VM
Vinnie_Murdico
May 24, 2005
Thanks. I guess the problem I have is not "opening" the document by default, but using the context menu options — Print and Preview. Before Windows XP used the built-in Photo Printing Wizard and the Fax Viewer to view and print images, now right-clicking on the image and selecting Print brings up Elements instead of the XP Photo Printing Wizard.

Is there any way to restore the XP Photo Printing Wizard so Print on the context menu will launch it instead of Elements?

Thanks,
— Vinnie
JM
Joseph Meehan
May 24, 2005
wrote:
Thanks. I guess the problem I have is not "opening" the document by default, but using the context menu options — Print and Preview. Before Windows XP used the built-in Photo Printing Wizard and the Fax Viewer to view and print images, now right-clicking on the image and selecting Print brings up Elements instead of the XP Photo Printing Wizard.

Is there any way to restore the XP Photo Printing Wizard so Print on the context menu will launch it instead of Elements?

Thanks,
— Vinnie

Do a right click on a file of the same file type and choose "OpenWith" Then chose the Wiz. There is some sort of option to do it all the time, a check box I think, click on that also. If you have more than one file type, you may need to change them all.

Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 24, 2005
First, create a restore point

then
Copy/paste this entire text to Notepad..including this WRE v 5.00 title;

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WIA.AutoplayDropHandler ] @="WIA automatic target for play"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WIA.AutoplayDropHandler \CLSID] @="{F1ABE2B5-C073-4dba-B6EB-FD7A5111DD8F}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WIA.AutoplayDropHandler \CurVer] @="WIA.AutoplayDropHandler.1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WIA.AutoplayDropHandler .1] @="WIA automatic target for play"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WIA.AutoplayDropHandler .1\CLSID] @="{F1ABE2B5-C073-4dba-B6EB-FD7A5111DD8F}"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WIA.AutoplayDropHandler .1\shell]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WIA.AutoplayDropHandler .1\shell\open]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\WIA.AutoplayDropHandler .1\shell\open\DropTarget] "Clsid"="{F1ABE2B5-C073-4dba-B6EB-FD7A5111DD8F}"

Then, from Notebook, Save as, "Crasher.reg"

double click the Crasher.reg and click yes.
VM
Vinnie_Murdico
May 24, 2005
Thanks. I created the reg file and ran it to include it in the registry (it said it completed successfully), but when I right click a JPG file and select Print, it still loads Element instead of the XP wizard.

— Vinnie
N
narya
May 24, 2005
Vinnie, before messing around with the registry I’d try "Edit > File Association" in PSE.

Alexander.

Canon Ixus 430 (aka S410) | x86 with XP Pro | PSE v3.0.1 with 3k images | 12" Powerbook soon 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 24, 2005
Vinnie,also to include to what Alexander said… setting the file association to Win XP through the previous FAQ post should have brought your images to open in Win pic and fax viewer…double click on a jpeg and click the ‘print’ icon. That should give you the wizard.
VM
Vinnie_Murdico
May 24, 2005
Thanks everyone. Yes, using the Explorer Folder Options->File Types screen has allowed me to reset several extensions to use the built-in viewer by deleting the open, preview, print options that were added by Elements.

Now selecting Preview from Explorer works – it loads the built-in fax viewer which is good.

Selecting Print from the content menu in Explorer however still loads Element instead of the built-in Photo Printing wizard.

— Vinnie
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 24, 2005
Vinnie, when you right click on a Jpeg and choose the ‘open with’…don’t choose win and fax viewer from there…you have to select the ‘ choose program’ at the bottom of the list which brings you to another page showing your installed programs. From there you would scroll down to ‘Win pic and fax viewer’ and select it and then check the ‘ Always use this action….’ box at bottom of that page.
VM
Vinnie_Murdico
May 24, 2005
Hi Jodi,

At this point I only need to change the behavior of Windows when I right click and select Print. Opening a JPEG with Element is fine. I just want the context menu’s Print option to go back to the Windows default Photo Printer Wizard.

I thought using the Open With option was only used to change how a document is "opened" and wouldn’t affect the Print context-menu option, correct?
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 24, 2005
Vinnie, just wondering, are your pictures in your ‘ My Pictures’ folder ? If so then instead of right clicking to print try to use the ‘ print’ from the drop down menu on top left under the ‘ pic tasks’ . If that doesn’t bring up the wizard then I’m stumped.
VM
Vinnie_Murdico
May 24, 2005
Hi Jodi,

No, these are just image files that appear in a few other directories.

Thanks,
Vinnie
JF
Jodi_Frye
May 24, 2005
Well perhaps you could copy one of your images to your ‘My Pictures’ folder and try the print option from there…just to be sure your wizard is still alive.
VM
Vinnie_Murdico
May 24, 2005
I’m sure it’s still there — If I right click and Preview, it loads the XP Fax/Preview utility fine. From that program, if I choose the Print button on the bottom of the window below the image, it will start the Printing Wizard that I was used to seeing previously directly off the context menu.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections