PJ
Posted By
pauline_jepson
Jul 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I got Photoshop Elements 2 bundled with a scanner. I installed as instructed-first Photoshop Elements then scanner drivers then connected the scanner via a USB hub.I then tried to open the application via the desktop shortcut and got the following message:
"could not complete your request because of missing or invalid personalization information"
the application has the relevant files installed in the Program Files. I can’t uninstall via the Add/remove facility because it’s not listed there. I did have some problems when installing- the computer froze 74% through and had to be reset, the second attempt ‘succeeded’. Also I received 2 CD’s labelled Photoshop Elements, they look identical safe for the registration number. When I put the second one in, the computer froze and I reset again. I use Windows Me, there’s plenty of memory and space plus I did disable the virus checker though nothing else.
So what’s the best way to get it off and re-installed please and are those 2 CD’s likely to be duplicates? thanks in advance, PaulineJ

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JH
Jim_Hess
Jul 8, 2004
If Photoshop Elements does not show up on your add/remove list, my suspicion is that the installation did not put the appropriate entries in the registry. What I would probably do is just delete the appropriate folder from the Program Files folder and try the installation again. It has been so long since installed Photoshop Elements that I cannot remember how many disks were included. I would think if you look at the disk labels closely you should be able to determine if there are any differences, which I’m sure there are. Windows ME has some real problems with its registry. And that might be part of your problem. That being said, I don’t know how to tell you to fix it.
TF
Terri_Foster
Jul 8, 2004
PSE2 only has one disk. Someone must have accidentally put two PSE disks in the scanner box.
JH
Jim_Hess
Jul 8, 2004
Thanx Terri. That’s what I thougt.
PJ
pauline_jepson
Jul 12, 2004
thanks Jim and Terri for your help. the 2 disks differ only in the languages-both have english but otherwise a different selection. I haven’t managed to instal either.
I started by deleting the Photoshop Elements folder in the Program Files then tried re-installing but it stops 70% along with the following error message:-
"ComponentMoveData Information
Media Name:Data
Component:TypeSpt\CommonCMap
File Group:Reqrd Common CMap
File:C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts\Reqrd\Base\pfm\COBO__.PFM error no.-115 refer to online help"
so it now appears to be the fonts component causing the problem. I tried to copy the Photoshop Elements folder from the disk to the desktop but the computer crashed and re-started partway through. however, the folder was on the desktop so I re-started in safe mode and started installing. this failed because the english language folder had not been copied. (it apparently would have installed in spanish but I cancelled because I thought if it was available in english then I should have it!)
I deleted the folder from the desktop and tried again to copy it from the disk but now it won’t even do that. this happens with either disk. I had downloaded a registry cleaner and among the many entries of invalid paths etc is a reference to Photoshop Elements. however, there is a warning about these entries not being necessarily incorrect so I’m reluctant to delete them in case I cause worse problems-not being an expert on computer innards.
so I’m stuck-any more ideas please? thanks PaulineJ
D
davee
Jul 12, 2004
I am afraid this is rather long. Sorry if you already know about System Restore.

Windows ME and later make automatic Restore Points periodically providing you haven’t disabled the feature. When you do a Restore, your PC and the registry will be reset to the Windows condition they were in when the Restore Point was created. However, although Windows will not ‘know’ about programs or hardware you installed after the Restore Point, the data and program files will still be in place. This doesn’t matter. Also you will not lose any user data at all.
To get to the restore options do this (commas separate menu choices): Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. From there the process should be self explanatory. Available Restore Points are shown in bold type on the calendar; just choose the latest one before you started the scanner and Adobe installation.

Two things to note:
1. Disconnect the scanner before you start the restore process, or the restored Windows may ‘see’ it on the USB and look for drivers.
2. Unfortunately, System restore only functions correctly if you have a specific Widows ME update installed. I don’t have the fix number to hand, but if your PC is set to receive Windows updates automatically you should be OK. To find out more about Windows Update do this: Start, Windows Update.
D
davee
Jul 12, 2004
I just found the patch number for System restore – it is Q290700. See: Microsoft Knowledge Base article KB290700 – "Checkpoints that you create after September 8, 2001 do not restore your computer"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=290700).

I’d suggest, by the way, that when you go through correcting things, you install the scanner first then PSE2. I cannot see the logic of doing it the other way round.
PJ
pauline_jepson
Jul 16, 2004
thanks Davee-I had forgotten about installing that patch which I’ve now done. I agree it’s logical to instal the scanner and drivers first but the manual said different. however,still struggling to instal Elements, same problem with sticking 70% through and getting the error-115 message I described previously even after cleaning out all Photoshop references from the registry and disabling the virus checker.I found this problem aired in the acrobat reader forum but no-one came up with a solution. PaulineJ

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections