CS3 Install Without Mandatory Payloads–Here’s How To Do it !!!!

DS
Posted By
don_solomon
May 5, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I started another thread yesterday asking for suggestions on how to install without all the mandatory payloads that Adobe have loaded us up with, whether we wanted or needed them.

A procedure was found by another poster.

It can be found here:

< http://www.ilemoned.com/software/customizing-adobe-cs3-insta llation>

I uninstalled by the usual Windows uninstall method, ran registry mechanic, and reinstalled after making the simple modifications outlined above. It went perfectly.

Of course, the install was considerably faster and there is simply less stuff on there for potential conflicts, so it might be worth a try for those folks still having difficulty getting an install as well as any first time installers playing Adobe Install Roulette. The less stuff you have in your registry that you don’t need the better.

Another nice benfit, at least on my configuration, was that PS loaded faster as well after removing all that proprietary non essential, for me at least, overhead.

What gets me you know where is why Adobe didn’t make these optional installs available in the first place. All that is required is adding a short txt script and removing the ‘requires’ section of the XML proxy file with a simple text editor like notepad. 5 minute job that a five year old could do, and bingo the old familiar component choice screen, checkboxes and all, pops right up when you start the install. So the choice screen is in there, just bypassed by the long requires section of the XML Proxy. Take that out and you are home free.

Check what you want–5 choices are required as noted in the instructions, including Bonjour for registration and authentification, and ‘phoning home’ with God knows what–and then its goodbye to virtually everything, even Bridge, if you don’t want it!

Your Choice! As it should have been in the first place!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RB
Robert_Barnett
May 5, 2007
Adobe didn’t make these things optional because Adobe has to do what will provide the most stable install with the features Adobe advertises. By doing or allowing what you did for anyone that installs just opens the doors for a bunch of moreones that don’t know what they are doing to install their software in such a way that either certain features don’t work, don’t work correctly, are’t available at all or are available but crash or otherwise cause the system to be unstable. All things Adobe can’t allow to be done by the average user.

While you may think you have gotten away with one has to wonder what you are missing out on? For example being able to easily move files from one Adobe program to the other. Like layered PSD files in to Dreamweaver or Flash or InDesign or Illustrator. Now of course these kinds of things may not matter to you now, but in a year or so when you try something and it causes your system to crash what are your and all of the other fools likely to do? You will come here and complain or you will call Adobe and complain when it is all your fault.

Very seldom do companies install software that isn’t needed for one reason or another. I find it interesting that the web site whoes like you provided mentions what is required, but what they don’t and can’t answer is what you will be missing, breaking or causing to become unstable by not installing the other things. One would think that if this trully was a good idea and perfect safe to do that Adobe would have allowed it. Allow it through a custom install option.

So go ahead and enjoy what you think is a better install. However, when things don’t work, don’t work right, aren’t available at all or your system starts to crash. Don’t come here and complain and don’t bother contacting Adobe. Because you caused it not them.

Robert
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 5, 2007
You can always re-install, Robert.

Preachy, preachy!:D
DM
dave_milbut
May 5, 2007
Very seldom do companies install software that isn’t needed for one reason or another.

is that a joke? where’s the punchline? 🙂

One would think that if this trully was a good idea and perfect safe to do that Adobe would have allowed it.

or one might think they didn’t pay too much attention to the installer and just whipped out an install package that kinda "worked".
H
Ho
May 5, 2007
Very seldom do companies install software that isn’t needed for one reason or another.

Right. Just like my wife would never use more words than necessary to describe her day… week… life…
DS
don_solomon
May 5, 2007
Robert,

You have to be very niave if you think software companies don’t do that!.

I could go down through the list of components and indicate how many of them are truly optional to the average user, but won’t waste the time. The procedure sets out those that are absolutely rquired–five, if I remember rightly. If Adobe required ALL these for things to work, why is there a menu coded into the Install, BY ADOBE, that allows one to check what one wants.

If anyone is apprehensive about whether to install any of the components, then all they have to do is read about what thier function is.

Do most folks really need Stock Photos installed–extremely doubtful, but it is a choice we ought to be able to make–all Adobe multi component apps I ever owned before this one provided those choices!

I have thoroughly tested both PS and Bridge, and they are functioning flawlessly. I have found nothing that I could do with the full install that I can’t do with this one–my customized one that fits my requirements.

Obviously to make the choices you need to have made yourself knowledgeable–that takes very lttle reading, as many of them will be obvious.
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 5, 2007
The wisdom of Solomon.:-)

Nice to have you around, don.

One thing you and milbut have in common is both of you use lower case spelling of your name. There are other things as well!
DM
dave_milbut
May 5, 2007
he uses more caps and punctuation than i do. must have a lot of time on his hands! 🙂
DS
don_solomon
May 5, 2007
don’t i wish. 🙂

i hav just taken bonjour of completely per the instructions in the technote and have yet to notice anything other than that the damnable mdnsresponder isn’t TRYING to get out anymore.

im so stingy with my resources i don’t even want it pestering my firewall–no point in having those electrons moving around if they don’t need to! just brings zero state entropy here faster. now there’s something only a true worry wart would be concerned with !
LH
Lawrence_Hudetz
May 5, 2007
Hey don, I got a device you can plug into the wall to straighten out all those pesky electrons. Supposedly made my audio system go from crummy to superb!

It even comes with a clock!

So it did try to get out, eh!
WS
Wick_Smith
May 6, 2007
Don:

I’d like to try this, since I am having some installation issues and this may help.

When the author instructs you to put the text file into the directory

"payloads\AdobePhotoshop10en_US_volume"

where is that directory located?

-w
JC
Joel_Castillo
May 7, 2007
Wick,
1. I copied all the installation files to D:\CS3 directory
2. the file to get the "OPTIONS" was then located at d:\cs3\payloads\adobephotoshop10en_us_volume\adobephotoshop1 0en_us_volume.proxy.xml
3. I first made a copy of the "…proxy.xml" file, just in case I got it wrong.
4. I then edited the file, by DELETING all the lines from "<REQUIRES>" to "</REQUIRES>"
5. I then resaved the file to the SAME name.
6. Finally, I ran the setup.exe file in d:\cs3 directory.

Worked like a charm, I got the OPTIONS. Obviously, make sure you select the five REQUIRED options along with anything else you want.

Joel
LL
Les_Linton
Jun 1, 2007
Joel do have a suggestion for an online purchase download. I have just have one executable file not a ‘setup’ file.

thanks

Les
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jun 2, 2007
Les, When you execute the download file, it will ask you where it should put the unpacked files. This is not the place where the final executables will be installed; it is where the installer files will be put. If you tell it to put the unpacked files at D:\CS3 (assuming you have a D: drive), then your installer file structure will be the same as in #11.
M
Mecdxpat
Aug 18, 2007
As someone who has worked for software companies in the past the idea that a software company wouldnt do anything without thinking makes me laugh.

Installers not working in first release – almost every time Documentation – always late
Product managers insisting their product MUST be installed be default so they hit their group revenue target – every time.

A product release – particularly when there are multiple products and some acquisitions involved is almost always a consensus decision – and consensus almost always means not that good.

The real question is whether Adobe will listen to their customers or their product managers. If they listen to the customers we will start to see some of the products getting consolidated. Photoshop Image ready, fireworks and illustrator seem naturals to become one product to me. This means some product managers will lose their jobs. If they dont listen to their customers at some point they are going to end up with more product managers than customers.
JJ
John_Joslin
Aug 18, 2007
Photoshop Image ready, fireworks and illustrator seem naturals to become one product to me.

The mind boggles!
H
Ho
Aug 19, 2007
Photoshop Image ready, fireworks and illustrator seem naturals to become one product to me.

If that ever happens it will be because Microsoft acquired Adobe.
MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Aug 19, 2007
It all depends on the price of the bundle.

I think they should become one product, with a retail price of, say, $299. I’d buy copies for each person in my family. Adobe would lose money compared with now, however.

Now, if the bundled price were the price of one of the current suites, I wouldn’t buy it at all, since I only have a real and frequent use for Photoshop.
DM
Don_McCahill
Aug 19, 2007

And then we will really see the bloat. Better to keep them as separate apps, and bundle them in a suite. Oh, they are already doing that … nevermind.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections