DB
Posted By
David_Brugge
Dec 7, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have traditionally used the shift/enter to get a "soft return" that starts a new line but not a new paragraph.

Now that I have upgraded to CS2, I no longer seem to have this function. If I copy a paragraph of text and paste it into Microsoft word, the old "soft returns" are there, but the paragraph marks are missing.

If I compose a paragraph in Word with hard and soft returns, Photoshop treats the soft returns and hard returns the same.

How do I insert a soft return.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Dec 7, 2006
"How do I insert a soft return."

You don’t; word processors, including text operations in PS, do that.

I don’t remember how previous versions of PS type formatting differs from CS2. However, CS2 works like a standard word processor, wherein it generates a Soft Return when the cursor nears the right margin (the bounding box in Photoshop). A Hard Return results from pressing the Enter key. I know of no way to "force" Soft Returns because, by nature, they float. That allows them to move if you change the size/shape of the bounding box.

I tried copying paragraphs from Word into CS2, and they formatted mostly as I expected. I could drag a side of the bounding box left or right, and the text reformatted properly to the new shape. That means the Soft Returns adjusted, as they must do. I also copied text into CS2 directly from a text-filled web page, and it behaved identically.

The exception to what I expected was that there were no blank lines between paragraphs (created by hitting "Enter, Enter" in a word processor). In the Paragraph palette, you can change that behavior by editing the "Add space after paragraph" box before pasting text from another source.
DB
David_Brugge
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks Joe,
Actually, up until version 9, I can force a soft return by holding down the shift key when I hit enter. I have about 30 static web pages that have lists of text set up this way. It’s nice to be able to force a new line (and use the space bar to indent) without applying the spacing that you have set with the paragraph settings)
(you can accomplish the same thing in most word processors) Suddenly, this feature has disappeared.
I read a discussion of this in the digital help (as opposed to the manual) but can’t find it again.
JZ
Joe_Zydeco
Dec 7, 2006
David, in MS Word, what you are calling a Soft Return is actually a Manual Line Break, produced by Shift-Enter. WordPerfect calls it simply a Line Break and it is invoked by pressing Ctrl-Shift-L.

So, I now see what you want, but no one at Adobe never got around to giving me the keys to the code room. Thus, I have no idea of what was changed on the way to CS2.

Sorry, but I don’t think I can help you with the problem. I hope someone else can let you know whether there is a workaround for a Line Break.
DB
David_Brugge
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks.
I guess I picked up "soft" return and "hard" return back in the early Aldus PageMaker days.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections