DL
Posted By
David_Lingard
Jun 28, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Have I understood soft proofing correctly? If I set my custom printer profile which I created myself as the Custom in Proof Setup and if my monitor is correctly calibrated and profiled should I see only a minimal change on keying CTRL+Y?

This was the case but now the change is significant and I can’t think that I’ve changed anything. I’ve profiled 2 CRT monitors now and it’s the same on both.

I’m on XP Pro SP2 and there is a strange anomaly in Display Properties > Advanced in that the Monitor tab shows the LaCie monitor (or the Iiyama when that was connected) but the Color Management tab says the monitor is my BenQ LCD but the default monitor profile is the one created for the LaCie CRT.

Any hints, clues or guidance gratefully received.

David

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Bernie
Jun 28, 2007
if my monitor is correctly calibrated and profiled should I see only a minimal change on keying CTRL+Y?

The change may be quite significant if you printer profile has a gammut that is smaller than the current profile of your file. Having everything calibrated and pofiled means you get an accurate rendering on screen with the softproof option.
DL
David_Lingard
Jun 28, 2007
CN thank you. The files are DNG photos opened in Profoto which is a very wide gamut and the printer is the Epson R2400 profiled with the Monaco kit and using good quality inks. The difference is greater now than before but your point makes a lot of sense.
J
Jim
Jun 28, 2007
wrote in message
Have I understood soft proofing correctly? If I set my custom printer profile which I created myself as the Custom in Proof Setup and if my monitor is correctly calibrated and profiled should I see only a minimal change on keying CTRL+Y?

This was the case but now the change is significant and I can’t think that I’ve changed anything. I’ve profiled 2 CRT monitors now and it’s the same on both.

I’m on XP Pro SP2 and there is a strange anomaly in Display Properties > Advanced in that the Monitor tab shows the LaCie monitor (or the Iiyama when that was connected) but the Color Management tab says the monitor is my BenQ LCD but the default monitor profile is the one created for the LaCie CRT.

Any hints, clues or guidance gratefully received.

David
Isn’t the purpose of soft proofing to determine how the image will look after printing?
Jim

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections