MC
Posted By
Martin_Coleman
Dec 4, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
At the bottom of this is a difficulty I’m having with profiling my monitor/printer. I use an i1 Proof which includes the ability to profile my printer but my printer at the moment is a small Epson desktop printer – R220. "Near-as-damn_it" is my usual standard and suits me for general photography. At the moment I am photographing paintings with more exacting standards for reproduction.

I callibrate both monitor and printer. I have read and re-read instructions and use genuine paper/ink. My prints are appear a little darker than my monitor and in fact, the original painting. So can Soft proofing give an idea of the accuracy of the profile? (that’s my main question).

Here are my settings

Device to simulate – myPrinterPaperProfile
Preserve RGB numbers – Not checked
REndering Intent – Perceptual
Black Point Compensation – checked
Simulate Paper – checked (which also auto checks the simulate black ink option)

Now, if that’s my sofr proof setting and I toggle ctrl-y I am flipping between an impression of my printer profile and the actual display profile – is that correct? If I could put a screen shot of the two on the web, would that give an expert (you) an idea of how close they are and whether there’s a problem?

Thanks

Martin

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MC
Martin_Coleman
Dec 5, 2008
I have recently discussed my equipment with Gretag McBeth and they advise at least 3 yearly servicing of the Spectrophotometer with the possibility that the lamp has weakened and needs replacing. They say that if you are ISO registered, callibration should occur anually. They also say that a weak lamp could cause problems like I am experiencing. I think I also understood that when assessing the monitor, it doesn’t use the lamp. That might explain why I always think my monitor looks good subjectively.

I would still benefit from a little more advice about the way I used Soft Proof as it’s something I may not be fully understanding.

Thanks

Martin

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections