MW
Posted By
Mark Werbeloff
Aug 21, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I get different paper profiles(generic) inserted into the soft proof section of Photoshop 7, instead of just having a basic Epson 1280 device profile?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 21, 2003
You have to have created or purchased a profile that is specific for your paper, printer, and ink. Assuming you have that, under View|Proof Setup, choose Custom and you can pick it.
MW
Mark Werbeloff
Aug 21, 2003
Doesn’t Epson provide a generic profile for soft proofing for free though. I downloaded a Colorlife 1440 profile exe. file that was made on a Gretag Macbeth system, which inserted itself into the Epson printer driver, So I can see how the image looks in the print preview box but not through soft proofing.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 21, 2003
Mark,

Doesn’t Epson provide a generic profile for soft proofing for free though

Yes, that’s true and I probably should have mentioned it. In my experience canned profiles are hit or miss so, in a way, it’s like not using a profile. What I mean to say is, you can get lucky with a canned profile.

There’s a lot of information (and mis-information) about profiles, but here’s a place that sums it up reasonably well:

<http://www.gballard.net/nca.html#getagoodprinterprofile>
KV
Klaas Visser
Aug 21, 2003
I use a bunch of Epson paper profiles specific to the 1290 (Australian version of the 1280) – included are all the paper types, and I put the profiles in the proper location for WinXP, and when I go to customise my Soft Proof setup, I can select a specific paper type. The match between screen and printout is very good.

I also use these profiles in setting up colour management during print preview (in PS7), for use as the output space, and turn off colour management in the driver.

If you want to check out the profiles, you can find them here < http://tech.epson.com.au/downloads/product.asp?id=stylusPhot o1290_0802&platform=all>.

cheers
Klaas
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 22, 2003
I guess I’m biased simply because I don’t use Epson paper. If those profiles work, then great, use them by all means.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections