AS
Posted By
Anthony_Siciliano
Dec 19, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I soft proof my photos prior to printing (View/Proof Setup) and haven’t been checking the gamut warning because I assumed the soft proof took away the colors that are out of gamut. Now I discover that this is not necessarily so. Could somebody educated me about the soft proof. If colors can still be out of gamut, what is the purpose of the soft proof? What are the limitations of the soft proof? Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
Soft Proof is meant to emulate the effect that printing will have on the final print using that combination of paper, ink and printer. It has absolutely nothing to do with gamut warning.

The purpose of soft proof is to allow you to make the necessary corrections to your image in order for your print to achieve the exact look you want on paper. These corrections include, for instance, a curve to increase brightness and boost contrast a bit.

Gamut warning is pretty much self explanatory. It tells you which color ranges will be clipped, so you can decide whether to bring them back in range —or not, i.e. allow them to be clipped.

Highly recommended reading: "Real World Adobe Photoshop" by David Blatner and Bruce Fraser. The relevant chapters on this subject are valid since the Photoshop 7 edition of that book.
DK
Doug_Katz
Dec 19, 2008
I guess I’m needing a lesson on this too, Ramón.

I had the impression since PS7 that, soft proofing an RGB file with any one of my press output CMYK profiles did indeed "flatten" or "compress" the file to within the gamut of those press/ink/stock conditions.

In other words, I’ve been laboring under the idea that I could check whether an image is within gamut in one of two ways: 1) Turn on the gamut warning directly; or 2) Soft proof the image with my destination profile.

All wrong?
B
Buko
Dec 19, 2008
gamut warning highlights the areas that are out of gamut in the smaller profile.
DK
Doug_Katz
Dec 19, 2008
Ah yes. What I meant was, in the smaller (I assume you mean soft proof-activated) profile, the same colors that gamut warning highlights do undergo a visible shift (some subtle, some dramatic) to the compressed profile, right?

In other words, toggling on and off the soft proof should visibly change the exact same image areas that gamut warning highlights, yes?
R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
Doug,

had the impression since PS7 that, soft proofing an RGB file with any one of my press output CMYK profiles did indeed "flatten" or "compress" the file

It does NOTHING to the file. It changes the appearance of the image on your monitor.
GB
g_ballard
Dec 19, 2008
R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
Doug,

There may well be out of gamut color ranges that are not visible on the screen but will be visible in print. That’s where out of gamut comes in handy.
R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
GB,

Which of Bruce Fraser’s articles are you linking to? There are many on that page and "Out of Gamut" is the name of the series, or column.
DK
Doug_Katz
Dec 19, 2008
Yes, thanks Ramón. I was aware that neither gamut warning nor soft proof actually mess with pixels. Sloppy language on my part.

And your last statement makes sense: Some OOG pixels may shift so subtly when soft proof is active as to be invisible on screen. Gamut warning will make them shout at you.

So I guess I wasn’t so far off; just missing a subtlety.

Thanks all.
R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
🙂
GB
g_ballard
Dec 19, 2008
Which of Bruce Fraser’s articles

All 🙂

gamut warning nor soft proof actually mess with pixels

I would think the ‘mess’ doesn’t happen (to the file) until the file is actually Converted to the proofing space and sent to the device
R
Ram
Dec 19, 2008
Whoa!

Well, semantics again, but the conversion to the target profile may also not mess with the pixels if there are none out of gamut.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections