SP
Posted By
Sean_Parmelee
Aug 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve been using the same copy of CS for months, but I’ve suddenly contracted a strange problem involving paragraph type.

Whenever I begin typing into a text box, the character show up normally, but once the type hits the other edge, and would normally wrap to the next line, all the characters become invisible and cannot be selected. What’s going on here? I don’t have any strange settings goin on in the character or paragraph palettes.

Thanks in advance!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Aug 6, 2004
Reset the value—via the drop-down menu—next to "Leading" in the Character Palette to "Auto"

If that doesn’t work, you may have a poorly created font.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 6, 2004
or your video drivers may need updating, or you might need to close the info palette.
SP
Sean_Parmelee
Aug 6, 2004
Again, there are no weird values in the character or paragraph palettes. And to clarify, this is not an issue of way too much space after the first line. Rather, the instant text extends beyond one line, all of the text becomes invisible and is not selectable.

It’s also not a font issue…for one, I was initially using Arial, and later switched to another standard font, to no avail.

I’m not sure if it’s a graphics driver issue, either. I have the latest driver, and haven’t changed anything since last it worked properly.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I’ll keep trying to figure it out too.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 6, 2004
is the info palette open while you’re typing and zoome <> 100%?
SP
Sean_Parmelee
Aug 6, 2004
Nope. The Info palette is closed, and I never type at any zoom but 100%.
SP
Sean_Parmelee
Aug 10, 2004
Bleh.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 10, 2004
have you reset your prefrences?

LenHewitt "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences" 6/23/04 1:05am </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>
SP
Sean_Parmelee
Aug 14, 2004
That fixed the problem completely. Thank you!
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 15, 2004
glad to hear it, sean. glad to help.
SP
Sean_Parmelee
Aug 17, 2004
Gah. Now the problem is back again. I changed my preferences to how they were, and it seemed fine, but now suddenly the problem is back.

Is there a specific preference that might cause this?
Aug 17, 2004
When you have chosen your Type Tool, look up at the Options Bar.

See the big "T" icon at the far left? Click once and it will activate a drop-down preset menu for the Text Tool. At the top right of that little menu, you’ll see a small, righ-pointing triangle. Click once on it, and it will activate a flyout menu. Glide down that menu to "Reset Tool". Click on that, and your Text Tool will revert to factory settings, leaving everything else alone.

Note that for almost all tools available in the Tool Box, this same procedure is available to reset just the tool that is currently selected. THIS is the first thing users should try before ditching preferences altogether. UUnfortunately, not many people know about it, or they have forgotten about it.

Might be a good addition to the FAQ’s topic on the subject.

If this fails to fix your problem, perhaps you could take a screen shot of your Character and Paragraph Palettes when you’re experiencing the problem, and post a link to the image here in this thread. Perhaps there’s something you’re failing to tell us that might help us nail down why you’re having the problem in the first place.
DM
dave_milbut
Aug 17, 2004
prefrences can get corrupt if you’re not exiting photoshop (manually) before shutting down your machine.

also, when everything’s working you can copy the whole prefs folder and save it somewhere else. then if your prefs get corrupt, you just copy the working set back in and you’re off.

hth, dave
SP
Sean_Parmelee
Aug 23, 2004
Phosphor – that worked perfectly…thanks! I totally didn’t think to reset the tool, and so I’ll keep that in mind in case this problem resurfaces.

Dave, you may be on to something as to WHY it’s happening again and again. I don’t think I’ve aborted Photoshop in a non-standard fashion lately, but it’s possible, and Windows isn’t too great about that (or much else, for that matter 😛 ). Still, duplicating the preferences folder is a good idea. I’ll be sure to try that.

Thanks, everyone, for the help. Couldn’t have done it without you! 😀
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 23, 2004
Glide down that menu to "Reset Tool". Click on that, and your Text Tool will revert to factory settings, leaving everything else alone.

Geeze, how long have I been coming here? A little over two years, I think. This is the first time I’ve heard that one.

A hearty thanks and tip ‘o the glass to Phosphor.
Aug 24, 2004
You’se guys is quite welcome, and s**t.

This is one of those things that I have just kind of assumed most people knew about.

Sure beats the baby/bathwater syndrome that occurs when ditching the entire roster of preferences.

Tool Reset is the FIRST thing to try when something goes wonky with one tool. If that doesn’t work, THEN go ahead and ditch all prefs or replace the bad with an archived set of good ones.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 24, 2004
Sure beats the baby/bathwater syndrome that occurs when ditching the entire roster of preferences

<nodding> Couldn’t agree more. Although, I keep successive backups of all my preferences. Every time I exit photoshop, I copy ALL the pref files to a dated folder on a separate drive. I’ve never had to use them (well, a couple of times for the Actions Palette), but I am in TOTAL fear about having to reset everything.

Peace,
Tony
D
dhannams
Aug 25, 2004
I’m having a similar but not identical problem. My text wraps fine the first time, so I get two lines of text perfectly, but the third and any subsequent line of wrapped text writes right over the second line as if the vertical leading were 0. There is nothing unusual about my settings… ordinary Arial font. This is Photoshop CS. In order to use more than two lines of text I have to make each line separately on a layer, move it manually into position and then link the layers, which is a huge pain. HELP!
Aug 25, 2004
Reset Tool.

If that doesn’t work, ditch your preferences, as explained in the FAQs at the top of Thread Index for this Forum.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 25, 2004
dhannams,

If you’re drawing a box first, then typing, that can happen. Try typing without drawing a box first, and then use Shift Enter to create a new line.

Peace,
Tony
D
dhannams
Aug 26, 2004
Tony – it worked! dunno why, but it worked!

I wasn’t drawing the box, just typing and using a hard return to break the line… and the second hard return would always jump to the same location as the first. But with the soft return, I can get it to break properly.

A work-around is as good as a solution!

dhannams
D
dhannams
Aug 26, 2004
ps – THANKS! Sometimes the simple solutions are the ones we forget to try when working in something like Photoshop!

dh
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 26, 2004
Glad you got it sorted.

Peace,
Tony

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections