LC
Posted By
Louise_Crooks
Oct 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. I am attempting to type several lines into a Photoshop design I made, but every time I hit enter to begin the next line of text, it gets set as a finished layer. I’ve hit every button I could to try to figure out why I can’t type more than one line at a time. There is an option for paragraph arrangment, but I can’t even get in a paragraph. I have Photoshop 7.0. Can someone PLEASE help end my headache?
Thanks,
Louise

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
Don_McCahill
Oct 11, 2003
The trick is to drag out a rectangle for your text, rather than just clicking with the text tool.
RH
Ronald_Hirsch
Oct 11, 2003
As Don noted, the rectangle dragged is the available space for your text. You can then select the justification et al, and type away. It will automatically wrap within the area you have dragged.

When you are done, and you want to reposition the text area to center it or whatever, change to the move tool (V), and drag it where desired with the mouse.

Ron Hirsch
LC
Louise_Crooks
Oct 11, 2003
First of all, thank you for you attempted help, but I’m still stuck. I followed your instructions, but it still didn’t work out. I selected the Text tool, clicked and dragged a workspace on the canvass. In the paragraph block, I clicked on Justificate It All, and began typing within the block. Onced I reached the far right of the box border, my text disappeared, and a small cube appeared in the lower right corner. I then followed the same first two steps, began typing, then pressed enter where I wanted my next line to begin, and nothing happened. Any other suggestions? I’m getting such a headache.
Thanks.
PH
Photo_Help
Oct 11, 2003
Louise,

Even without a text box you can hit enter for a new line with the text tool, Unless you hold down CTRL but in your case I don’t think it is simply a stuck key. The only advantage of a text box is that it will auto wrap lines.

Try resetting your preferences.
P
Phosphor
Oct 11, 2003
Set your Leading value in the Character Palette to "Auto."

That’ll fix your present problem, Louise.

And if you want to FORCE a carriage return, use SHIFT + Return.

Can’t help you with the "Justificate" thang.
LC
Louise_Crooks
Oct 11, 2003
I attempted to type something on the canvass again, hit enter, and nothing appears. I went to the Preferences, and I’m not sure what I should enter to reset my preferences. Once I type something and hit enter, the cursor that USE to be at the end of the word last typed disappears.
(Crying)
LC
Louise_Crooks
Oct 11, 2003
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH PHOSPHOR!!! THAT DID IT!
(Smiling Now!)
P
Phosphor
Oct 11, 2003
I’m happy to help…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections