EH
Posted By
Elizabeth_Herzfeld
Jul 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My Illustrator CS shows fonts in their own typeface when I use the character pallet to choose a font. My Photoshop CS does not. Is it supposed to and if so how can I get it to?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CF
Colin_Franklin
Jul 7, 2004
I though myself that was rather a large oversight.
Especially as Adobe have made such a big deal of how integrated all the CS apps are.
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Jul 7, 2004
Should be under your preferences under text.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 7, 2004
It is a preference that is available in Illustrator (most people turn it off) but not in Photoshop.

If you want to see WYSIWYG font menus when selecting your fonts, your best bet is to use FAP for font management (which gives you that option), then choose which ones you want to activate.

Another option is to set a line of type in Photoshop; select it; and then cycle through your font menu. You can do that by clicking in your font-name window in the option bar and using the up- (or down-) arrow.

You need to view at 100% and to Cmd H to hide the text-highlighting.
EH
Elizabeth_Herzfeld
Jul 8, 2004
I didn’t know you could hide the text-highlighting in Photoshop — this will be great for when I have to change the color of only one word in a list or line which is often — thanks.

Re font management programs, I have Suitcase but hate it! I used to love it but since I upgraded to Panther and the new version of Suitcase, it takes forever to start up and won’t let me select just certain fonts from a group. I think it slowed my system up more than trying to load all my fonts. I just use Font Book which is free with the Mac.
P
Phosphor
Jul 8, 2004
All you have to do is make sure the Text Layer in which you’d like to audition different typefaces is highlighted in the Layers Palette.

No need to select the text in the document window.
RH
r_harvey
Jul 8, 2004
For a different point of view, see Fonts displayed as is in drop downs? <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.3bb4ac05/0> in the Typography Forum. If you don’t want to read it all, they mostly say to turn the feature off, and print a book with samples of all of the typefaces you like. They’re not obsessive about it at all.
J
JimMueller
Jul 8, 2004
FAP is WYSIWYG **only** within FAP. I just downloaded the demo to make sure.

It does not make each applications’ font menu WYSIWYG as "Now/Action WYSIWYG" or "Adobe Font Reunion" did in pre-X days. I know Apple made a conscious decision to leave font display up to the individual developers – unless they wanted to use Apple’s canned display that you see in TextEdit – but did they consciously make it impossible to create a system-wide WYSIWYG font menu utility?

Finally, after 3 major X revisions (counting the Public Beta as 0), someone had made a stab at such a utility. The newly released "You Control Fonts" finally gives us a near-universal WYSIWYG font menu, but it is a separate menu item located in your menu bar – next to your clock (and your iSync, battery, Default Folder, Timbuktu and volume icons). It also does not work with pre-CS versions of Photoshop.

Ever since Adobe yanked its Font menu from the menu bar and put it within the Character palette, Photoshop has been the primary WYSIWYG troublemaker.
RS
Richard_Sohanchyk
Jul 8, 2004
WYSIWYG functionality tends to slow down machine performance which is why it is frowned upon. I don’t use it and I don’t encourage my employees to use it. That’s what a font management program is for. You scroll, preview and activate the fonts you think need and/or might want to try in a job specific set. As mentioned before, you then highlight the text in PS (or any other app) and use the arrow key to scroll through your fonts. In addition to slowing performance, seeing a calvacade of font styles tires the eyes. For the casual user, WYSIWYG is probably okay but not for professional usages.

I installed FAP on my new G5 and love it. Big improvement over suitcase.
B
Buko
Jul 8, 2004
WYSIWYG sucks big time how the hell are you supposed to read what the font is if its a dingbat or a wingding or a boarder? FAP is by far the best font manager and how hard is it to activate FAP and look at your fonts?? also to truly get any good out of WYSIWYG fonts in the font menu one would need to have every font active at the same time what a pain in the ass that is when making a simple font change, having to go through all fonts. Also there is the font limitations in PS.

WYSIWYG fonts is just a plain bad idea. Get a font manager, look at your fonts in that. If you only have a few fonts use Font Book.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 8, 2004
<< Ever since Adobe yanked its Font menu from the menu bar and put it within the Character palette, >>

In my copy of Photoshop CS: if you have the Type tool selected, the Fonts list shows up in both the Options Bar AND in the Character palette.

Why would you need it in the Menu Bar as well?
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 10, 2004
Ann,

Why would you need it in the Menu Bar as well?

It’s the belt + suspenders + Velcro approach. Can’t be too careful… <vbg>

Neil
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 10, 2004
Of course.

How stupid of me to have forgotten the need for Velcro too.

:~O

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections