Posted By
Deepak_Gulati
Nov 21, 2008
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi Folks,

I have recently found myself in a position where I am dealing with text in some non-unicode encodings. The text includes the soft-hyphen character (0xAD) – which under ISO 8559-1 encoding is rendered as a hyphen.

When I paste this text into photoshop, the soft-hyphen disappears. The soft-hyphen is still there (if I copy the text and paste it back into notepad it is visible, also it shows up in the text layer’s name) but it is not being rendered.

Now in Photoshop 7 the soft-hyphen renders as expected so I believe this is something caused by Photoshop’s transition to Unicode in later versions (I see this ‘problem’ in Photoshop CS3 and CS4 – don’t have CS or CS2 to test).

* Is it possible to change the type tool’s behavior to the older version – i.e. to show soft-hyphen?
* Would anyone know if CS/CS2 behave like this as well?

p.s. I need soft-hyphen to be rendered because I am working with an old/legacy font which ‘renders’ soft-hyphen as a different glyph.

Thanks,
Deepak

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

M
Mylenium
Nov 22, 2008
Check your text palette’s OpenType options. There are various options for the automated Unicode features for glyph substitution. Turning off the "Contextual alternates" might do the trick. Short of that, converting the character in an Unicode-enabled text editor via Find&Replace (Textpad for instance) might also provide a solution.

Mylenium

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections