PS
Posted By
Paul_Smallridge
Apr 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Soemtimes (or maybe it’s always) when I click File/Browse nothing seems to happen. So I temporarily gave up trying to us eit. But having investigated it further the problem is that the File Browser Window was displayed below the visible portion of the screen (so clicking on it again did nothing). Having moved the File Browser Window to a more visible part of the screen it works fine, but sometimes it shrinks itself and starts to move towards the bottom of the screen – which is what I guess happend to make it finally disappear from view altogether!

Now, this may in fact not be an Elements problem ata ll but more likely to be that wondeful so-called operating system Windows-XP!

Any body got any views on how to avoid this in future!

Regards.

Paul Smallridge

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 6, 2004
Welcome to the the club! I rarely use my PSE on Win XP but found my Browse function "MIA" the last time I tried. I’m afraid the creeping Browse window is pretty common amongst Windows users.
PS
Paul_Smallridge
Apr 6, 2004
Beth,

Thanks for your observations I thought it might be something I was doing!

However, in your experience is this just a PSE problem in Win-XP or are you suggesting it’s a generic Win-XP problem as I’ve never suffered anything like it in any other products I use. Which kind of suggests it is unique to PSE in Win-XP and although it might be an underlying Win-XP problem it is PSE that is causing it and somehow they can avoid it by recoding their Window handling!

Perhaps they (Adobe) can comment on this phenomena!

Or am I over simplifying things!

Regards
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 6, 2004
I’ve never experienced it with any other programs in Win XP, nor does it happen on Macs, so I think it’s on the Elements side. PSE 2 has been out for at least a year and a half, so I seriously doubt there will be anything done at this point. Maybe they’ll get it corrected by the time PSE 3 appears – whenever that might be.
J
jhjl1
Apr 6, 2004
Paul you may be over simplifying things. I have XP and Elements on two machines and have never seen this behavior.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
Beth,

Thanks for your observations I thought it might be something I was
doing!
Perhaps they (Adobe) can comment on this phenomena!

Or am I over simplifying things!

Regards
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 6, 2004
I wonder if there’s any relation between monitor resolution and this anomaly. My Win XP Pro machine happens to have the monitor set at 800 X 600. ??? I know I’ve heard others talk about this happening, but I don’t remember that the subject of resolution has ever come up in conjunction with it.
J
jhjl1
Apr 6, 2004
I’m at 1024 x 768 on both machines. Maybe you are on to something Beth.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
http://www.myeyesviewstudio.com/
wrote in message
I wonder if there’s any relation between monitor resolution and this
anomaly. My Win XP Pro machine happens to have the monitor set at 800 X 600. ??? I know I’ve heard others talk about this happening, but I don’t remember that the subject of resolution has ever come up in conjunction with it.
BG
Byron Gale
Apr 6, 2004
My screen res. is 1024×768, running Win98SE, and I have "browser creep", as well.

No other application that I have demonstrates this behavior.

I’ve learned to deal with it, though, so it’s no more than a nagging annoyance for me. I run PSE maximized, and when the browser is "invisible", if I "restore" the PSE window, the top edge of the browser window comes into view and I can drag it northward, again.

I observe that the browser opens lower on the screen with each new PSE session, until it is finally off the bottom, hidden by the task bar.

Byron
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Apr 6, 2004
Yep, my XP machine is 1024×768 and I have it, too. I think it’s just endemic to PE on XP machines. Jim, you’re just lucky. 😉
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 7, 2004
I gave up on using it, on my Windows machine, because it kept disappearing at random time (one day it was there, the following it wasn’t). Was running at 1024 x 768.

Ray
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 7, 2004
Scratch monitor resolution as being related! 🙂
DS
Dick_Smith
Apr 7, 2004
One answer to "browser creep" is to dock the File Browser to the palette well. With 1024×768 res you should always be able to see it. You get the ability to use it and it doesn’t always stay under your current images.

Since I docked it I find I use it much more often than before.

Dick
SS
Susan_S.
Apr 7, 2004
Happens on my imac too…browser wanders South for the winter I think……
B
BobHill
Apr 7, 2004
Don’t forget you can delete the prefs file and you should get your Browser back, but usually when this happens, it’s been moved to the very border of bottom of the window, and sometimes very tricky to see the clue titale bar blue.Try maximizing/minimizing to see if you can see an edge to the Browse Palette. I agree with putting the Browser into the Well (where Prefs will pick it up for next opening), but at times it does get in the way when isolated and a palette in the work area, so the tendency to move it as far away as possible is strong. And you CAN move it too far where you can’t retrieve it. This is when deleting Adobe PhotoShop Elements Prefs.psp file should correct things (with Elements closed, of course).

Bob
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 7, 2004
Bob,

I don’t know for the others, but for me, the file browser disappeared on its own. I’m not it the habit of moving windows too close to the border (I simply close them when not needed).

So far, on the Mac, it didn’t do it (though it’s only 4 weeks old)

Ray
B
BobHill
Apr 7, 2004
Ray,

If this happened on it’s "own" then definitely delete the prefs file (with Elements closed, Immediately after clicking the Elements start icon, click and hold down CNTL SHFT ALT keys until you get the message "Do you wish to delete all settings". Say YES and Elements will open with a brand new Prefs with original defaults. This should fix the problem.

Bob
RR
Raymond Robillard
Apr 8, 2004
Bob, thanks for the info. I think I didn’t expressed my problem well enough: On the Windows machine, the browser would work one day, but the next, it would simply not show up. I mean it was there, but too far away outside the screen for me to pick it up. Deleting the preferences did the trick. But, a few days later, it would again disappear. That’s why I’ve given up on it.

Now, on the Mac machine, it didn’t show up this odd behavior so far (keeping my fingers crossed!)

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Apr 8, 2004
Ray,

In all the time I have had Elements the browser window had stayed in place on the Mac. Hopefully yours will do to ….

How are you liking your new Mac?

Wendy
JD
joe_davis
Apr 9, 2004
Paul,
Dock the Brouser,then you won’t have that problem.
Joe Davis

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections