Posted By
John_Hallewell
Apr 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Beth and Pete
Thanks for the responses – delay in catching up due to holiday! I’m using Adobe Photoshop Elements and I can’t find any ‘constrain proportions’ option in the batch conversion dialogue box. So presumably I’ll have to follow your earlier instructions Beth – to select both new dpi AND specify width and/or height.

John

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 3, 2004
I was wondering where you went!

I don’t remember ever running this Batch process with just Constrain Proportions checked, but I assume Pete’s experiment is correct. However, I did figure out why I was initially overlooking that. The term "Contrain Proportions" to me was indicating a conversion in which the ratio of width to length is maintained. As far as I’m concerned a better term would have been "Constrain Dimensions", which is what you want to do. A matter of semantics, but it would be less confusing!

When the Batch processing window is open, the third box down is the one in which Image Size can be changed. Once you put a checkmark there, you’ll see "Constrain Proportions" is automatically activated in the lower right corner (fine print!) So, you could skip typing in the width and length and just change the resolution. I would try this on just a few first, though, to make sure you’re getting the outcome you want. You should.
JH
John_Hallewell
Apr 4, 2004
Beth

There’s definitely no ‘constrain proportions’ in my batch window, and unless I specify both new height AND width, nothing is changed. As my images are all different dimensions, (having been scanned in from hundreds of old photos), I have to convert each one individually after doing the appropriate calculations, thus defeating the object of batch conversion!

I’m beginning to believe I have a different/inferior version of Photoshop Elements from yours!
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 4, 2004
Hmmm. Your original post says you’re using PSE 2, however I just opened PSE 1 and checked the Batch conversion feature on it. It does NOT have the Constrain Proportions option. Are you sure you’ve got version 2? When it opens, version 2 will have a large yellow sunflower. (Is "yellow sunflower" redundant? Now that I think about it I’ve never seen a sunflower that wasn’t yellow. My mind sure is drifting today, huh? Sorry. I’ll go back on task.) Version 1 has some kind of a bizarre eyeball. If you find you do have version 2, we might need to zap your proggie. If you find you have version 1, it might be worth your while to upgrade.
JH
John_Hallewell
Apr 4, 2004
Beth

There’s definitely no ‘constrain proportions’ box in my version, and unless I specify both new height AND width no changes are made. Because all my images are of different sizes, having been scanned in from hundreds of photos, I have to convert each one separately applying the appropriate new size calculations. Goodbye batch processing!

I think I must have an inferior version of P’shop Elements.
JH
John_Hallewell
Apr 4, 2004
I was wrong – I do have version 1. I’ve looked at Adobe’s website for an available upgrade to v. 2 but can only find a trial version. I suppose this might have the missing bit.
BH
Beth_Haney
Apr 4, 2004
Wow. Weird. I read your post and responded, and then it showed up again 19 minutes after it went on the first time! Edited, too!

Be sure to go back and read post 17 or it’ll look like I didn’t answer.

And, by the way, there’s never been more than one version of Elements 2, so if you’ve really got that version we’re going to have to take a look at a reinstall or something, because you’re definitely missing a piece!

Edit: Oh my, we’re really playing cat and mouse aren’t we?! Version 2 was a new program and not an upgrade. If you have the system resources, you could download the demo version of PSE 2, but if you want to own it I’d strongly recommend you buy it retail instead of buying online from Adobe. We can start with the reason you’ll save money! It’s also much better to have a CD if you ever need to reinstall. And if you DO download the demo and then purchase it, the demo version has to be completely uninstalled before putting the full version on or you’ll run into problems. I’d suggest just springing for PSE 2 and getting it over with. With the number of photos you need to work with you’ll pay for it in terms of the level of frustration alone! 🙂

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections