B
Posted By
bbw
Feb 5, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have Photoshop 6.0 and I have a couple of cd’s full of images that were produced for me by a print shop. They are photos of artwork and have been scanned in at fairly high resolutions. I want to know if it is possible to change the resolution when I adjust the sizes of these photos and save them for the web. The ultimate goal being to produce images for the web at the lowest possible resolution necessary for viewing online, and then I’ll convert them to pdf files to make the "lifting" or "theft" of them more difficult for visitors to the site. Is changing the resolution possible? I’m not terribly experienced with Photoshop – I know how to do what I need to get by with my web site work so have patience with my questions! Thanks to you all.
Brooke W.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
jaSPAMc
Feb 5, 2004
On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 17:20:04 -0600, "bbw"
found these unused words floating
about:

I have Photoshop 6.0 and I have a couple of cd’s full of images that were produced for me by a print shop. They are photos of artwork and have been scanned in at fairly high resolutions. I want to know if it is possible to change the resolution when I adjust the sizes of these photos and save them for the web. The ultimate goal being to produce images for the web at the lowest possible resolution necessary for viewing online, and then I’ll convert them to pdf files to make the "lifting" or "theft" of them more difficult for visitors to the site. Is changing the resolution possible? I’m not terribly experienced with Photoshop – I know how to do what I need to get by with my web site work so have patience with my questions! Thanks to you all.
Brooke W.
You want to resample the images, not change the resolution. The first will reduce the number of pixels, the second retains the pixel count, but alters the (later) printed size.

See "Image Size" in your manual or "F1"
KC
Kardon Coup
Feb 6, 2004
and/or download a freeware Irfanview http://www.irfanview.com/, and Batch convert..

"J. A. Mc." wrote in message
about:

I have Photoshop 6.0 and I have a couple of cd’s full of images that were produced for me by a print shop. They are photos of artwork and have
been
scanned in at fairly high resolutions. I want to know if it is possible
to
change the resolution when I adjust the sizes of these photos and save
them
for the web. The ultimate goal being to produce images for the web at
the
lowest possible resolution necessary for viewing online, and then I’ll convert them to pdf files to make the "lifting" or "theft" of them more difficult for visitors to the site. Is changing the resolution possible? I’m not terribly experienced with Photoshop – I know how to do what I
need
to get by with my web site work so have patience with my questions!
Thanks
to you all.
Brooke W.
You want to resample the images, not change the resolution. The first will reduce the number of pixels, the second retains the pixel count, but
alters
the (later) printed size.

EG
Eric Gill
Feb 6, 2004
"bbw" wrote in
news:bvuj41$emr$:

I have Photoshop 6.0 and I have a couple of cd’s full of images that were produced for me by a print shop. They are photos of artwork and have been scanned in at fairly high resolutions. I want to know if it is possible to change the resolution when I adjust the sizes of these photos and save them for the web. The ultimate goal being to produce images for the web at the lowest possible resolution necessary for viewing online, and then I’ll convert them to pdf files to make the "lifting" or "theft" of them more difficult for visitors to the site.

You’ll just be wasting your time. A screen capture will get right around that.

Is changing the resolution possible? I’m not terribly experienced with Photoshop – I know how to do what I need to get by with my web site work so have patience with my questions!

File->Automate->Web Gallery

Allows you to control the size and compression of the processed images, plus makes a large and thumbnail size, which may be useful (it usually is for me).
E
edjh
Feb 6, 2004

J. A. Mc. wrote:
about:

Brooke W.

You want to resample the images, not change the resolution. The first will reduce the number of pixels, the second retains the pixel count, but alters the (later) printed size.

I don’t think making the images into pdfs will stop anyone from lifting them from your website. A screenshot is all that’s needed.

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Batman art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
B
bbw
Feb 6, 2004
Eric my apologies for replying to your private email! I meant to reply to the group with the following:

Yes I realize that screen capture will do it, and as I mentioned I am just trying to find a way to make it more difficult to take them. I don’t believe the average user will know to do a screen capture – not COUNTING on it but…. And with that said, any other measures you guys can think of that I can take to make it even more difficult would be appreciated! I realize that anyone with more that average skills on the computer/internet will be able to take them no matter how I try to encrypt, watermark, or otherwise manipulate the images. So I’m trying to make the quality of the online images as "unusable" as possible – I’m working with an artist and her works. Any other thoughts?
Thanks for the resampling tip!
Brooke

"Eric Gill" wrote in message
"bbw" wrote in
news:bvuj41$emr$:

I have Photoshop 6.0 and I have a couple of cd’s full of images that were produced for me by a print shop. They are photos of artwork and have been scanned in at fairly high resolutions. I want to know if it is possible to change the resolution when I adjust the sizes of these photos and save them for the web. The ultimate goal being to produce images for the web at the lowest possible resolution necessary for viewing online, and then I’ll convert them to pdf files to make the "lifting" or "theft" of them more difficult for visitors to the site.

You’ll just be wasting your time. A screen capture will get right around that.

Is changing the resolution possible? I’m not terribly experienced with Photoshop – I know how to do what I need to get by with my web site work so have patience with my questions!

File->Automate->Web Gallery

Allows you to control the size and compression of the processed images, plus makes a large and thumbnail size, which may be useful (it usually is for me).
EG
Eric Gill
Feb 6, 2004
"bbw" wrote in
news:bvv1ph$urt$:

Eric my apologies for replying to your private email! I meant to reply to the group with the following:

Well, cheer up – you did.

That email has been public too long to be useful anyway. Fills up every hour or so with virus-ridden spam.

Yes I realize that screen capture will do it, and as I mentioned I am just trying to find a way to make it more difficult to take them. I don’t believe the average user will know to do a screen capture – not COUNTING on it but…. And with that said, any other measures you guys can think of that I can take to make it even more difficult would be appreciated! I realize that anyone with more that average skills on the computer/internet will be able to take them no matter how I try to encrypt, watermark, or otherwise manipulate the images. So I’m trying to make the quality of the online images as "unusable" as possible – I’m working with an artist and her works. Any other thoughts? Thanks for the resampling tip!

Just make the images too small for any print purpose and plaster the copyright all over the web pages and embedded data on the pics (you can turn on the watermark system in Photoshop – it will slow down some idiots).

Don’t mangle the pics with visible watermarks – you want to sell them, right?

You won’t stop some schmuck from using it on their WebTV free page, but there is no system that will not run off most potential clients before they see the first print that will prevent minor thievery.

Trust me on this one. The returns aren’t worth the effort.
N
newsgroup
Feb 6, 2004
Yes I realize that screen capture will do it, and as I mentioned I am just trying to find a way to make it more difficult to take them. I don’t believe the average user will know to do a screen capture – not COUNTING
on
it but…. And with that said, any other measures you guys can think of
that
I can take to make it even more difficult would be appreciated! I realize that anyone with more that average skills on the computer/internet will be able to take them no matter how I try to encrypt, watermark, or otherwise manipulate the images. So I’m trying to make the quality of the online images as "unusable" as possible – I’m working with an artist and her
works.
Any other thoughts?
Thanks for the resampling tip!
Brooke

Brooke, degrading the images to the point they’re unusable seems to defeat the purpose of displaying them in the first place. If you’re familiar with slices that might be a solution. Or (and I don’t much care for this but…) I see some people putting a picture in a picture, like a thumbnail sized picture overlayed onto the full sized image. Some even make the full sized image black and white. Another option might be to concentrate on key features of the artists work while using a thumbnail to show the whole piece. Hope this sparks some ideas… ~Doc
B
brooke
Feb 6, 2004
Thanks all – Eric and Doc your points are well taken. I will revisit this whole issue with the artist and see if we can find some middle ground to agree upon with this. Thanks again – ya’ll are always helpful!! Brooke

"bbw" wrote in message
I have Photoshop 6.0 and I have a couple of cd’s full of images that were produced for me by a print shop. They are photos of artwork and have been scanned in at fairly high resolutions. I want to know if it is possible
to
change the resolution when I adjust the sizes of these photos and save
them
for the web. The ultimate goal being to produce images for the web at the lowest possible resolution necessary for viewing online, and then I’ll convert them to pdf files to make the "lifting" or "theft" of them more difficult for visitors to the site. Is changing the resolution possible? I’m not terribly experienced with Photoshop – I know how to do what I need to get by with my web site work so have patience with my questions!
Thanks
to you all.
Brooke W.

M
misifus
Feb 8, 2004
It seems to me that if what Brooke wants to protect is an artist’s work, merely resampling to 95 dpi in a size to fit on a screen would do that. The resulting image would not be reproduceable in any usable form for print, but would still show what the work looked like.

-Raf

Misifus-
Rafael Seibert
mailto:
http://www.ralphandsue.com
N
newsgroup
Feb 8, 2004
It seems to me that if what Brooke wants to protect is an artist’s work, merely resampling to 95 dpi in a size to fit on a screen would do that. The resulting image would not be
reproduceable in any usable form for print, but would still show what the work looked like.

-Raf

Merely resampling to 95 dpi, or 950 dpi or 1 dpi for that matter doesn’t change anything. If the size of the image on the web is at 800 x 600 (for instance) that is the amount of information presented. Period. If you send it to the printer without adjustment you might get a high res postage stamp but you might also get a low res poster. The quality of that information is another issue, which involves the degree of jpeg compression. All that aside consider that I employ a technique whereby I’ll intentionally save an image at the lowest jpeg setting then rebuild it to resemble a painting. It’s hit and miss but some of my results are impressive. Others are spectacular. The point being that the OP has a genuine concern about releasing such information on the web. ~Doc
H
Hecate
Feb 9, 2004
On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 08:41:38 GMT, "Dr. J. Smith" wrote:

It seems to me that if what Brooke wants to protect is an artist’s work, merely resampling to 95 dpi in a size to fit on a screen would do that. The resulting image would not be
reproduceable in any usable form for print, but would still show what the work looked like.

-Raf

Merely resampling to 95 dpi, or 950 dpi or 1 dpi for that matter doesn’t change anything. If the size of the image on the web is at 800 x 600 (for instance) that is the amount of information presented. Period. If you send it to the printer without adjustment you might get a high res postage stamp but you might also get a low res poster. The quality of that information is another issue, which involves the degree of jpeg compression. All that aside consider that I employ a technique whereby I’ll intentionally save an image at the lowest jpeg setting then rebuild it to resemble a painting. It’s hit and miss but some of my results are impressive. Others are spectacular. The point being that the OP has a genuine concern about releasing such information on the web. ~Doc
Yes, however, the only sure way to prevent copying is not put the stuff there in the first place 😉

I usually find the beast way of doing things is (with photography in my case) shoot want I want, but take 1 or 2 specifically for the web as I know they’ll get stolen.

Hecate

veni, vidi, reliqui

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections