HS
Posted By
Hugh_Stratford
Feb 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Working with B&W negatives how do I determine when to use 16 bit or 8 bit setting before scanning? I haven’t a clue, all the help tells me is that each setting is able to produce a bizillion shades of gray but not how to choose. Or why a particular setting. If it makes a difference I am using a Canon S800 printer with six shades if Lysol gray ink.
Thank you.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JC
Jane_Carter
Feb 26, 2004
I am thinking of getting one of the Epson CX 5400 scanner/printer combos, and I was hoping that someone here has one, or at least can tell me if I can get good scans and good prints with it.
A store in our town has them for $100 now.
It has good reviews on Amazon, but I would rather make my decision on the answers here. Thanks,
Jane
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 26, 2004
Hugh, if you’re using Elements, it can handle only 8 bit anyway. Does that help?!
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Feb 27, 2004
Beth is right, of course – Elements is strictly 8-bit. However, if you scan in 16-bit, Elements will open it as an 8-bit after fussing at you first. Good to scan at 16-bit if you might graduate to Photoshop CS someday and you’re not sure the original will still be around to scan later.

Chuck
HS
Hugh_Stratford
Feb 27, 2004
Thank you Beth for the information, now I know which to use, but not why.Why can’t or won’t Elements use the 16 bit setting? What is the difference?
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 27, 2004
Why?! You want to know WHY, too?! 🙂

Below I’m posting a short article which gives a little more information. Basically it has to do with the depth of the scan and the amount of information transferable back to the image editing program. I can’t answer the part of your question about why Elements (and full Photoshop 7.0 for that matter) uses only 8 bit. I’m assuming it has something to do with the complexity of software development in comparison to the perceived return value. But that’s just a guess that has a lot of big words to make it sound knowledgable and important!

The newest version of full Photoshop, CS, can handle up to 48 bit images. I have it, but so far I haven’t had time to sit down and play with my new 3200 Pro scanner and PS CS to see if an untrained eye like mine can even see any difference. I’m betting I can’t but that other people probably could unless the example was pretty extreme.

What you might want to do – as someone else (Chuck?) already suggested – is scan at the higher 16 bit setting and archive an untouched copy of the resulting image file. Someday you might have software that will let you work with that greater bit depth, which I think would be particularly important if you’re working with a lot of black and white photos or negatives.

Here’s part of the short article I found on the web. I’m sure there’s a lot more information available out there, but this one seemed to give a down and dirty overview.

THE EFFECTS OF SCANNING IN 14 BIT MODE VS 8 BIT MODE

The bit depth of an image controls the number of shades that can be defined for a color. The difference between an 8 bit (per channel) image and a 16 bit (per channel) image is not discernable to the human eye if the image is not manipulated but when the levels of an image’s histogram is heavily manipulated, low bit depth images will suffer rounding errors of pixel values resulting in posterization.

Here’s the website address where I got that quote. There’s more there, including a test he ran using a color image.

<http://www.lumika.org/gear_nikon_scan_bit_depth.htm>
HS
Hugh_Stratford
Feb 27, 2004
Thanks Beth, both for the info and the humor. One fact did make sense, If I do a lot of work on the image some edges may suffer some lack of sharpnes, good to know before I play with the image.
Thanks.
BH
Beth_Haney
Feb 27, 2004
You’re welcome, Hugh. I always like to add a touch of humor, because it sometimes diverts people’s attention so they can’t tell I don’t know what I’m talking about. 🙂
JF
Jodi_Frye
Feb 28, 2004
…..don’t know what you are talking about…ya right Beth…keep loading it onto the wagon…
HS
Hugh_Stratford
Feb 28, 2004
Beth;

Thank you, now I know why I use so much humor, my wagon runneth over.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections