RF
Posted By
Ronald Florence
Dec 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I just bought an Epson 3200 scanner, which seems to be a good unit for both traditional flatbed scanning and scanning photo negatives and slides. Unfortunately, the unit ships with software that does not recognize MacOS-10.3. There is a replacement for the Epson Scan program and photoshop plugin on the Epson support site. Epson refuses to upgrade the LaserSoft SilverFast SE to a version that is compatible with MacOS-10.3.

Before I shell out $40 to LaserSoft for the upgrade of SilverFast SE, is this a good idea, or is there other scanning software that is better for slides and negatives?

Also, is there a reliable way to shift the scanning program between Image Capture (for faxes and the like), Epson Scan (for simple photos), and SilverFast SE (for negatives and slides that need some work)? I find that I have to turn off the scanner and kill whatever program was using the scanner before I can get another program to connect to the scanner.

Thanks,

Ronald Florence www.18james.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

D
drietow
Jan 4, 2004
I run Windows XP and I own an Epson 3200 scanner that came with the Silverfast SE software. I also own a copy of Vuescan for my old HP scanner prior to buying the Epson scanner. Vuescan works on the Epson also.

I tried out the Silverfast SE, Vuescan, and the Epson software testing each one on all sorts of film, slides, prints, and whatnots. I came to the conclusion that the Epson software was just as good and sometimes better than the others. Each one is going to have a some kind of edge over other but I think that the Epson software has the best balance of quality Features, Final Output, and Intuitive that stands it out from the pack. Frankly I think Silverfast SE lacks a lot of Intuitiveness but that’s not to say that Epson software is perfect. Vuescan has a bunch of great features.

I can go on and although $40 will probably not break the bank it’s still represents a few bags of groceries and I think in the end you would rather of had the groceries than the Silverfast SE.

Three more things.

You can try Vuescan and Silverfast SE free. I know Vuescan puts a watermark in the photo. Of the two I think Vuescan is the better.

Take a look at what version your Epson software is. If it’s not v1.28 go down load the latest from the Epson web site.

Lastly, Give up on thinking that Silverfast or the Epson Software is going to eliminate any dust or scratches from your film or prints. IT WILL NOT! This is software technology and it is extremely flawed. It’s based on interpretation on algorithms (it’s software trying to think). The only technology working today is IR scans and our Epson 3200 does not have IR capabilities (see Digital Ice for more information on IR technology).

Good luck. What have others to say?

Ronald Florence …
I just bought an Epson 3200 scanner, which seems to be a good unit for both traditional flatbed scanning and scanning photo negatives and slides. Unfortunately, the unit ships with software that does not recognize MacOS-10.3. There is a replacement for the Epson Scan program and photoshop plugin on the Epson support site. Epson refuses to upgrade the LaserSoft SilverFast SE to a version that is compatible with MacOS-10.3.

Before I shell out $40 to LaserSoft for the upgrade of SilverFast SE, is this a good idea, or is there other scanning software that is better for slides and negatives?

Also, is there a reliable way to shift the scanning program between Image Capture (for faxes and the like), Epson Scan (for simple photos), and SilverFast SE (for negatives and slides that need some work)? I find that I have to turn off the scanner and kill whatever program was using the scanner before I can get another program to connect to the scanner.

Thanks,

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections