S
Posted By
S._Brooks
Dec 11, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
After working on a project for a few hours I saved and closed the document. The file size is about 795 MB.
When I later tried to open the file again, Photoshop gave me a message stating "..this file is not compatible with Photoshop"
Nothing had changed on my system in this time and I had already saved, closed and reopened the file earlier in the day. I’ve tried to open the file on a couple of different machines and I’m getting the same error. Yet I had no errors while saving. Very frustrating because a lot of time has already been spent.

Has anyone encountered this mysterious issue?

thanks

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
Bernie
Dec 11, 2006
The file may be corrupted.

Have you tried opening it in another application?
S
S._Brooks
Dec 11, 2006
thanks for the reply,

yes, I’ve successfully opened it with InDesign.
However, I’m not finished with the photoshop file yet- so even though it is a good sign it is not useful.

what do you think?
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 11, 2006
You are not working across a network are you? If you are, drag it onto your desktop.

And never do that again.

EDIT: No chance of opening it in ImageReady is there? Probably too big.
B
Bernie
Dec 11, 2006
And you did not open it in ID, you can only place image in that software – big difference.

If it places, you can always try to save the page as a PDF and rasterize that. But you will have lost your layers 🙁

You can also try Graphic Converter

BTW, you don’t mention the file format
S
S._Brooks
Dec 11, 2006
I’ve tried ImageReady but it wouldn’t let me open since it was not in RGB colorspace.

I tried dragging the file to the desktop (from the network) but still had the same issue.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Dec 11, 2006
You might be able to open it in Illustrator — but you may only get one composite Layer.
R
Ram
Dec 11, 2006
You’re not running NAV (Norton Anti Virus) by any chance, are you?

NAV is known to cause exactly this kind of irreparable damage to Photoshop files.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 11, 2006
Had a feeling you were working over a network. This kind of thing can result from that practice. No backup I suppose.
R
Ram
Dec 11, 2006
This is the boilerplate text I use in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else’s network remotely, and that’s why it’s not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322391.html>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won’t work. It should.

Adobe’s position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it’s probably the network’s fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can’t work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you’re on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Dec 11, 2006
Over and above that, I’ve always liked working locally because the original file or a late version is often on the server so you needn’t lose ALL your work. In my last job typically I’d copy the file or work folder to the server at lunch time or a convenient break time, and always before shutting down for the night. Since jobs often took a few days to a week to finish, it worked out well.

And there was a tape backup every night also, so no need to lose anything unless you were careless.

Sometimes at critical points I would make a local copy of the file as well. Just gotta be aware of version control.
S
S._Brooks
Dec 12, 2006
Thanks everyone for the support. I’m moving on and accepting the lost time and restarting the project. I have not had any problems working over the network here – it has been completely solid for over a year now, and this is definitely an isolated issue that I hope I never see again.

To be safe I’ll be using my local drive while working on projects.

Thanks again!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections