Could not save because the file is locked. (False error. Ownership permission issue)

C
Posted By
carrgo
Sep 5, 2006
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Problem is that users on a LAN get a false error message trying to save PS docs that they did not create. Error is:

Could not save "file.psd" because the file is locked. Use the ‘Get Info’ command in the Finder to unlock the file.

Error is false because the files are NOT locked. In fact, Get Info indicates that the user trying to save has Read, Write permissions, so why the error? We assume this is a file permissions problem because the message is only seen if the file was created or last saved by another user. Save As with same file name results in same error, but Save As with new filename to the same directory works fine.

There are 3 users on this LAN, all running Mac OS 10.4.7. Server is running Mac OS Server 10.4.7. and all project directories are set to inherit permissions. This condition is limited to Adobe Photoshop; other applications behave normally.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Sep 5, 2006
The error occurs because the OS reports to Photoshop that the file is locked.

Something between the OS and the fileserver is unhappy about those files.
AR
alan_ruta
Sep 6, 2006
Doe is happen often? It would happen to me on occasion so I would rename the "psudeo locked" file as something like "kill" and then save with the old name. At a later time I’ve been able to remove the "kill" file. This may not be your situation–it seemed as if the OS was delayed a period of time and then it would free up the file for trashing.

It was odd but not worth enough trouble to diagnose.

I’ld love to hear how it pans out for you though.

alan
C
carrgo
Sep 6, 2006
This is not an occasional issue. In fact, I can reproduce it at will.

With 3 users on the LAN, everyone is primarily working on files we "own" so there’s no issue. But whenever we need to edit an image created by another user, we have to work around the error message.

Work-around is basically Save As to the desktop and then copy over the original. There is no delay or Finder-level permissions problem with copying files to directories on the server.

All users belong to a group created with Workgroup Manager. Members of this group have Read/Write access to all project directories and these permissions are inherited by any new directories.
R
Ram
Sep 6, 2006
This is the boilerplate text I use in connection to saving to a network (please NOTE the part where it explains that normally, it does work, but that it is impossible to troubleshoot someone else’s network remotely, and that’s why it’s not supported by Adobe):

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, please cease and desist immediately in the event you are currently experiencing problems with one or more files. Working across a network is not supported.

See:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322391.html>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local hard disk, work on it, save it again to your local hard disk, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.

Of course, the fact that Adobe does not support working across a network does not necessarily mean it won’t work. It should.

Adobe’s position is that there are too many variables in a network environment for them to guarantee that everything will work correctly in every network, especially given the fact that if something does not work properly, it’s probably the network’s fault, and Adobe has no way of troubleshooting your network.

If you can’t work locally, you are on your own, and if something happens, you’re on your own. If you must work from a server, make sure your network administrator is a competent professional.

When problems arise, a lot of valuable work can be lost.
AB
Alan Baker
Nov 16, 2006
In article ,
wrote:

This is not an occasional issue. In fact, I can reproduce it at will.
With 3 users on the LAN, everyone is primarily working on files we "own" so there’s no issue. But whenever we need to edit an image created by another user, we have to work around the error message.

Work-around is basically Save As to the desktop and then copy over the original. There is no delay or Finder-level permissions problem with copying files to directories on the server.

All users belong to a group created with Workgroup Manager. Members of this group have Read/Write access to all project directories and these permissions are inherited by any new directories.

Are you using ACL (Access Control List) entries for permissions?

Because I support a company that has a Tiger server and they’re having exactly the same problem, except that I’ve determined that it only happens when the ACL is granting permission, but the standard Unix permission bits are not.

‘It is Mac OS X, not BSD.’ — ‘From Mac OS to BSD Unix.’ "It’s BSD Unix with Apple’s APIs and GUI on top of it’ — ‘nothing but BSD Unix’ (Edwin on Mac OS X)
‘[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.’ — ‘I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM)
‘Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.’ — ‘Sun OS is not included on the timeline of Solaris because it’s a different OS.’ (Edwin on Sun)
AB
Alan Baker
Nov 16, 2006
In article ,
Ram

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections