SA
Posted By
Sdf_Adprr
Apr 20, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I can no longer open or save Bitmap files in PS-7.
When tring to open a .bmp I get the error mesg: "Could not open C/* because it is not the right kind of document."
..bmp is also not listed under Open, Save or Save as. Other photo app.s function normally. Is there a setting somewhere I may have inadvertently changed? Thanks for any help.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 20, 2004
By any chance did you select "Open As" by mistake? The purpose of that command is to open a file that is known to be a particular format but for which there is no file type extension on it. If you open a file that isn’t compatible with the format chosen, you may get an error such as you describe. Apart from that, could it be you simply overlooked that the list of formats is scrollable but is not initially presented with the BMP format in view?

If neither of these addresses your situation, I suggest you might try resetting your Photoshop preferences </cgi-bin/webx?50>. That seems nearly a "cure all" sometimes…I don’t know why, but it does.

Reards,

Daryl
SA
Sdf_Adprr
Apr 20, 2004
Thanks Daryl,
But I have not overlooked any open or save dialogs.
The only preference reset I see is "Reset all warnings dialogs" Is there a master default re-set somewhere? I looked all though the Help files and there’s nothing on selecting or deselecting file types.
Maybe I should just do the ol’ un-install re-install?
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 20, 2004
Perhaps you missed my link to the FAQ about resetting your preferences. That is the "master default re-set", so to speak, but I’m not sure it will affect any file association issues. Still, before going through an uninstall/reinstall, it is surely worth a try. Rather than sending you to the linked topic, here are the instructions:

Hold down Alt+Ctrl+Shift while starting Photoshop. Select "yes" to the dialog box that appears asking if you wish to delete the preferences file.

If that doesn’t do any good, yes, I’d suggest an uninstall/reinstall of PS. That shouldn’t take too long.

Good luck,

Daryl
RW
Rene_Walling
Apr 20, 2004
Dumb question of the thread (but it’s worth a shot so what the heck): are your files in CMYK mode.

BMP doesn’t support that colour mode.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 21, 2004
Rene,

Not so dumb…and that was my first thought. But, as "Sdf" stated the error message arose when opening a file, I figured the image mode wasn’t a factor.

Daryl
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 21, 2004
He could also be missing the BMP plugin.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Apr 21, 2004
I never realized there was such a beast Chris. If so, then certainly a reinstall should resolve the problem, and presumably there would be no need to first uninstall.

"Sdf"…look in your Photoshop 7.0/Plug-ins/File Formats folder for the file BMP.8BI. If missing, that is indeed the problem. I don’t know whether the file is embedded in an installation file on the PS7 CD or not, but you might try running a search for and, if found, copy it to the aforementioned folder. Or, again, just reinstall PS7.

Regards,

Daryl
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 21, 2004
Also, check "about plugins…" to make sure it’s loading.
SA
Sdf_Adprr
Apr 21, 2004
I think that may be it. I only see gif, png, and wbmp in the plug-in folder. Thanks
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Apr 22, 2004
Sdf,

the PhS7 installation by default settings loads
the BMP module.
Custom installation can result in missing modules,
though the option was checked.
Maybe I´m mistunderstanding the custom installation
menue, but with default settings it works.
This doesn´t explain why the BMP module is all of a
sudden lost
"can no longer open or save Bitmap files in PS-7"

Best regards –Gernot Hoffmann
SA
Sdf_Adprr
Apr 22, 2004
The bmp plug-in was indeed missing. The re-install fixed the problem. Something or someone may have corrupted the plug-in folder/files.
Though a uninstall/reinstall would have repaired it just the same, it’s good to know what caused it. Thanks to all

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections