RL
Posted By
Richard Lyon
Jul 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
At an early stage in using Elements I am having ‘disk full problems’ messages.

Using a 6GB drive, split virtually into 2/2/2GB, the C drive is dangerously full (about 80MB spare). I do realise that this should be cleaned up (over 955MB in the Windows file alone for some reason) and I am working on it.

Is this why I am getting ‘could not save cache file because disk is full’ complaints from Elements?

Cleaning up the disk gives me only 855KB spare (that’s KB not MB), so something is badly wrong.

Any advice on cleaning up my C drive having been using Elements? Or, alternatively, any chance of pointing Elements’ cache dumping activities to another drive where I have plenty of space?

Basic stuff, I know, but I am sure someone can help.

Thanks,
Richard Lyon

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

BH
Beth Haney
Jul 30, 2003
I might be misinterpreting your question, but have you gone into Edit>Preferences>PlugIns and Scratch Disks? There is a way to reset the Primary and secondary scratch disks, and there’s also another section regarding cache. You might want to prowl around in that area and see if you can find some new settings that will satisfy Elements.
RL
Richard Lyon
Jul 30, 2003
Thanks, Beth, will have a look around there.
Richard
RL
Richard Lyon
Jul 30, 2003
Beth

Managed to clear up 120MB of C drive by being ruthless with progs.

I had a quick look at Preference, and bit of a mystery, as Adobe Help files are not exactly revealing:

a) What is a Scratch Disk? Everything is pointed at the root of my E drive where there is plenty of space, but can’t believe that it is using the root of a drive for scratching….and is the scratching just temporary?

b) Cache etc. seems to refer to needing RAM, and it is using 40MB of 111MB available. Does that sound OK?

c) Not a clue what Cache Level = 4 means. Any idea?

Regards
Richard
NS
Nancy S
Jul 30, 2003
Richard,

How much memory do you have?

It looks to me as though you come up short on the requirements for resources. Have you considered adding perhaps an external Hard Drive and adding another memory module?? PSE (as are all image editing programs) is a real resource hog. A lot of math goes on behind the scenes and files are large, therefore the need for substantial resources. One file edited in PSE can easily run 30Mg and the program would need about double that just to process it.

Nancy

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections