AP
Posted By
Aelia_Petro
Jan 4, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running Photoshop CS2, with Windows Vista Home Edition.

My problem is a new one, as I’ve been running the program the exact same way since I bought it several years ago. Two weeks ago I bought an Intuos 3 tablet, and installed the software that came with it (including Corel Painter Essentials), and updated the drivers for Vista. After doing so, the appearance of my save menu changed in photoshop, but everything still ran properly.
Yesterday when I tried to save a file that I had opened and modified (a photoshop file, not .jpg), Photoshop stopped responding. I did not receive any error message, the program simply froze, and refused to respond. I gave it more than five minutes before shutting it down. This has happened three consecutive times. I can save a new file, (using the ‘save as’ function), but anytime I attempt to merely ‘save’ (either using ‘control-s’, or by selecting ‘save’ from the file menu) Photoshop stops responding.
I have not edited any preferences or settings.

I have lost a great deal of time and work over this, and am beyond frustrated. Any help would be very truly appreciated!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

BL
Bob Levine
Jan 4, 2009
Someone running a similar configuration may be able to help but you need to be aware that CS2 is unsupported under Vista. And you don’t state which version of Vista you’re using.

Bob
AP
Aelia_Petro
Jan 4, 2009
I’m running Windows Vista Home Edition.
I was unaware that CS2 was unsupported by Vista, as it has been running fine until now. Aelia
M
Mylenium
Jan 4, 2009
Mmh, I would presume that installing Painter has modified file associations and security settings for certain file types. Either that, or it’s the combination of an unsigned app (Photoshop) using a signed driver (Wacom) and the security conflict coming from that. These settings can all be influenced and modified, but I’m not clear about the exact cause. Do you get any error message from Windows Error Reporting or does the specific cause show up in your system event log?

Mylenium
RK
Rob_Keijzer
Jan 4, 2009
Maybe the "Save" dialog is off screen? Try to Esc out of the freeze.

In the case of an off screen dialog, though invisible, it has focus and waits for user input.

Pressing the Esc key equals clicking on the Cancel button.

Rob
BL
Bob Levine
Jan 4, 2009
I’m running Windows Vista Home Edition.

Which one? Basic or Premium?

Bob
AP
Aelia_Petro
Jan 5, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions guys, unfortunately I’m still experiencing the same problem.

There was nothing off screen, escape did not help. I don’t usually get a box when all I’m doing is saving (unlike using ‘save as’). I haven’t had any messages from Windows Error Reporting, and don’t see anything in the System Event Log, but don’t know exactly what I’m looking for as I don’t access it regularly.

I’ve ordered the CS4 upgrade. Should arrive this week.

My new question is, should I uninstall my current configuration, install Photoshop Elements 6.0 (which came with my tablet), and upgrade that? Or should I leave it as is, and install the upgrade on my current configuration?
Will CS4 fix my problem? Or will the problem merely transfer onto it? Any help greatly appreciated!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections